|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Starting Issue

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 03:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an interesting issue yesterday. Had just finished fueling up, heading to Perry when the MH would not start. 2006 National Seabreeze LX. Pressed the boost button and still no go. ???. So I had my 600A booster, connected to the engine battery and STILL nothing. Dang, this is not good. First trip to Perry and we're dead before we get on the road. Wife says what if you start the genny? OK, I didn't think the genny charged the engine battery but we'll give it a try. BOOM, started right up. So, without having time yet to look at the schematic, does the genny charge the engine (chassis) battery? What is the standard for a Class A. I'm going to also post this on the National forum on iRV2.

Thanks!!

Al

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick guess is you have a bad starter. Has a bad connection at the solenoid or just a flat spot. I do not believe the generator charges the chassis battery, but I am not familiar with your model. Question, was the chassis battery dead ? Headlights, dash lights etc on and bright ?

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 04:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only charges the engine batteries if you hold the boost switch down.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO RV Genset charges any battery. Gensets have NO charging system at all. What the genset does is supply 120 power to the onboard COACH Converter or Inverter/charger, whichever you have, and THAT appliance charges the coach batteries ONLY. Your Emergency BOOST, requires the COACH batteries to be charged. The BOOST button is activated by the Coach battery 12 volt signal. It then merges the coach and Chassis batteries by a solenoid to supply power to start the engine. Odds are, as another posted stated, you had a temp bad connection on the engine starter/solenoid system. Doug

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

NO RV Genset charges any battery. Gensets have NO charging system at all. What the genset does is supply 120 power to the onboard COACH Converter or Inverter/charger, whichever you have, and THAT appliance charges the coach batteries ONLY. Your Emergency BOOST, requires the COACH batteries to be charged. The BOOST button is activated by the Coach battery 12 volt signal. It then merges the coach and Chassis batteries by a solenoid to supply power to start the engine. Odds are, as another posted stated, you had a temp bad connection on the engine starter/solenoid system. Doug

Yeah,, Well, we have an extra link in the chain,, The gen-set does charge both sets of batteries.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

Had an interesting issue yesterday. Had just finished fueling up, heading to Perry when the MH would not start. 2006 National Seabreeze LX. Pressed the boost button and still no go. ???. So I had my 600A booster, connected to the engine battery and STILL nothing. Dang, this is not good. First trip to Perry and we're dead before we get on the road. Wife says what if you start the genny? OK, I didn't think the genny charged the engine battery but we'll give it a try. BOOM, started right up. So, without having time yet to look at the schematic, does the genny charge the engine (chassis) battery? What is the standard for a Class A. I'm going to also post this on the National forum on iRV2.

Thanks!!

Al

First question is.....was the chassis battery actually dead or was there some other intermittent problem, that wasn't allowing the engine to turn over?
Unless there's also a problem with the aux. boost, then it should have started, when coupling all the batteries together.
The genset does charge your chassis battery through the converter, but only after the coach batteries are up.
I'm doubting that your batteries were the problem, but time will tell with that one, so if and when there's a next time, you need to check the voltages on the batteries, before proceeding any further.
We had a 98 National with a GM engine and I replaced the starter twice over a period of 9yrs. with the rig being 9yrs old, when we got it.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dkreuzen

Lake Havasu City, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Mostly true... except if you have a Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD) installed then all batteries will be charges via the Inverter/Charger and the engine alternator. Every class A I have had or worked on over the last 15+ years has had one.

Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Only charges the engine batteries if you hold the boost switch down.

No, not true in all cases.
Mine charges both sets, both ways.

AND....the OPs problem likely will be back again.
NOW would be a good time to get a voltmeter AND check to see if there is supposed to be a BIRD device there or not. I had to replace a solenoid to get mine working.

IF....the problem really was that the engine/starter wasn't turning over at all (which he really didn't actually SAY), I agree that the main problem likely was/is a bad connection somewhere in the main chassis battery cables.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tropical36 wrote:

FloridaRosebud wrote:

l

The genset does charge your chassis battery through the converter, but only after the coach batteries are up.

Not with the Intel system..
1 volt difference the connection is made. Then they both charge together

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the most simple things first. Check/clean your chassis battery cable terminals where they connect to the chassis battery. Check the water level(s), if applicable. Also clean the house battery cables in a similar way. Don't overthink it. A multi-meter is your friend.

Chum lee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Starting Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS