|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Anti-freeze ratio

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey All—traveling to the great frozen Northeast in our B-van and expect temps in the 20’s at night. Would like to continue to use the fresh water system and want to add RV antifreeze to the tank. What do you think a safe ratio would be to prevent freezing the outside tank and lines? The tank is 35 gallons.

chartrue2@aol.com

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't add anti-freeze to the fresh water tank, you empty it and the water heater. The rest of the system should have 100 per cent anti-freeze.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chast wrote:

Would like to continue to use the fresh water system and want to add RV antifreeze to the tank.

I must be missing something [emoticon] ... you're not going to ingest any fresh water with antifreeze in it so why would you want to do this? [emoticon]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS * 2003 Fleetwood Yuma
2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX * 2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe * 1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After thinking more on this, my guess is that the question is about the waste tank and the RV is expected to be heated. Please clarify.

chast

Marlton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for confusion guys! We would like to continue to be able to use the fresh water and drainage systems when the temps are freezing at night and OK during the day. We NEVER drink the water from the tanks and the water would only be used for dishes, showers and toilet. So, how much antifreeze do I need to add to 35 gallons (the non-toxic RV type) to achieve this?

lamopar

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in freezing weather and do not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. We have 50-gallon black and grey tanks and dump a gallon to three in each depending on how long we will be camping. We carry drinking water. We put a 5-gallon Igloo water cooler in the shower and use it for the toilet. We switch to paper plate and bowls and pre-cook most of our food then just microwave it. Most of the time our water will still flow through the lines but does freeze below 20 every time and I have insulated every line. If you're going to do this for an extended time I would recommend tank heaters which I am going to add this year. Hope this helps.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never heard of this or been asked the question in 40 years as a Tech. BUT, RV Antifreeze does NOT have a texture and consistency like water. It is kind of "slimy". I would NOT want to wash or do dishes with a mixture of water and antifreeze. NOT dangerous, just something I would think may result in a bad thing. Using it for the toilet system would be OK. Doug

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chast wrote:

Sorry for confusion guys! We would like to continue to be able to use the fresh water and drainage systems when the temps are freezing at night and OK during the day. We NEVER drink the water from the tanks and the water would only be used for dishes, showers and toilet. So, how much antifreeze do I need to add to 35 gallons (the non-toxic RV type) to achieve this?

If you're saying you want to add RV anti freeze to your fresh water tank and use that mixture for washing dishes and showering I sure wouldn't. [emoticon]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the construction of your RV
Fresh water with 20's at night you may not need do anything to the fresh water system. PROVIDED you have heated tanks.. You can also get tank heaters that peal and stick on the tank if you wish or in my case since the tanks are enclosed and there is room I slipped a string of incandescent C-9 (9 watt lamps) Christmas lights under the tank.. They put out about 300 watts. and a 100 watt rough service lamp in the valve bay (Caged so it can not touch anything and melt it) NOTE 15 watt lamps will melt plastic 9's do not.

But I have all enclosed plumbing..

Water heater.. Either drain and bypass it. or leave it on and hot (hot water will NOT freeze so long as the heater is heating.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It should be 100% water, or 100% antifreeze, or empty. Your choice.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Anti-freeze ratio
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS