|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Anti-freeze ratio

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Down in the 20s overnight? Just use the RV as normal with water.

Fill the tank half or more for the night and remove your water connection hose. The fully exposed connection may freeze if left out.

If you must put anti-freeze in the main holding tank search for a freeze chart to give the correct concentration for the exact product you buy.

Example: (propylene-glycol)

[image]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Automotive antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Propylene glycol has very low toxicity.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

It should be 100% water, or 100% antifreeze, or empty. Your choice.

Disagree - there's never any reason to introduce RV antifreeze into any fresh water holding tank, ever. When not in use during the cold weather months it should simply be drained of any residual water and left like that, as should the water heater tank, any water remaining will have plenty of room to expand as it freezes and not cause any issues at all.

I agree that there is no reason to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. However, I stand by my assertion that an RV's water supply should be 100% water, or 100% antifreeze, or empty. Your choice. If you think there is a useful purpose in partially diluted antifreeze, I am willing to listen.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing.. Though unlike Automotive Antifreeze RV antifreeze is NOT TOXIC. it is still nasty stuff. both taste and the effect it will have on you in quanity. (it is a lower level of poison) So I'd never add it to water I plan on drinking.

But then after the fun I had getting rid of it all the first time I used it.. I never used it again.

When traveling in sub-zero I carried water INSIDE the heated RV and did not fill the fresh system till I was sure it was safe.. I'm "Warranted" for 20 degrees.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

One thing.. Though unlike Automotive Antifreeze RV antifreeze is NOT TOXIC. it is still nasty stuff. both taste and the effect it will have on you in quanity. (it is a lower level of poison) So I'd never add it to water I plan on drinking.

The propylene glycol used in RV antifreeze is non-toxic and rated as GRAS, “Generally Recognized As Safe”, by the FDA. It is tasteless and practically odorless.

Quote:

Propylene glycol is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water. Propylene glycol is also used to make polyester compounds, and as a base for de-icing solutions. Propylene glycol is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries as an antifreeze when leakage might lead to contact with food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is “generally recognized as safe” for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food
colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries. Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions. Other names for propylene glycol are 1,2-dihydroxypropane, 1,2-propanediol, methyl glycol, and trimethyl glycol. Propylene glycol is clear, colorless, slightly syrupy liquid at room temperature. It may exist in air in the vapor form, although propylene glycol must be heated or briskly shaken to produce a vapor. Propylene glycol is practically odorless and tasteless.

Propylene Glycol - CDC Public Health Statement

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chast wrote:

We NEVER drink the water from the tanks and the water would only be used for dishes, showers and toilet.
Seems fine to me.
Chart shows about 1:5 AF to water should work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Anti-freeze ratio
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS