|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tire UV Protection

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Wild Bill 888

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My used motorhome came with top of the line Michelin tires with like new tread, but badly cracked sidewalls. The inner rear tires were slightly damaged and spare was like new with soft pliable uncracked sidewalls.

I bought a quilted moving blanket on sale at Harbor Freight for $6, cut it into 4 pieces, added some nylon string, and put them on whenever parked outside more than a couple of days.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By accident, I discovered another use for 303 beyond protecting surfaces from UV.

I spray it on spots in my RV's carpets, rub it into the spot area, and then wipe where the spot was thoroughly with a dry cloth. WaLa ... the spot is gone with no discoloration of the carpet.

(I don't work for the 303 manufacturer, either. [emoticon] )

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The solitary perfect protector for tires and plastic is shade

Next is silicone dielectric grease. No petroleum. But the stuff is costly and has to be applied something like twice a year. It really works. I used tons of it on rubber and stainless steel adel clamps sitting in the sun. Works on plastic electrical wiring, but cross link insulated wire is almost as good.

Go to the tropics. Observe bronzed ladies of advanced years. Their skin resembles a gator's.

Ultraviolet is a powerful ray. Even virus and bacteria surrender before it.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my research, Aerospace 303 Protectant does not contain any silicone and the company seems to make a marketing point by saying that it doesn't - as if to say that silicone would be undesirable.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silicone requires -pure- silicone. Perhaps this is the deciding point? Price?

My decades long experience with silicone dielectric grease decided the issue for me. Has Aerospace 303 been around for decades?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All my trailers sit in the tractor shed or the trailer barn out of the sun light. The only time their in the sun is when used. I'm not a wealthy person so my trucks and trailers have to last many years.
I've had my current 5er for 19 years and use Tire Care (all cars and trucks) about 2-3 times a year. I use LT tires on all my trailers and run them for 50k-55k miles and 7-8 years before selling them and replace with same.

I've tried 303 on my truck tires and found it doesn't stay on near as long as Tire Care.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Silicone requires -pure- silicone. Perhaps this is the deciding point? Price?

My decades long experience with silicone dielectric grease decided the issue for me. Has Aerospace 303 been around for decades?

... Long enough for 10's/100's of thousands of users to swear by it. [emoticon]

Of course 303 contains no petroleum distillates, either.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How come my 3 year old MAXXIS tires on MotorCycle Trailer setting in direct sunlight for 6mo out of the year and same with truck tires that never gets stored inside have ZERO cracking but my Dunlop MotorCycle tires have very small cracks, they are two years old ? MC is always stored inside unless being ridden. I use NOTHING on my tires.

RV tires never covered and I stay in HOT weather and never a crack.

NOTHING against 303 but I can't see how it does any good.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My overwhelming first choice is shade. Especially when the sun is so intense down here to touch chrome is to end up with a red spot and stinging, after lacing together a new and quite memorable string of colorful expletives.

How hot? When working on the car and tools are in the sun they are submerged in pail of water.

Turn the cold water on in the shower and wait until it doesn't scald.

When the kWh of my 600 lb Vestfrost refrigerator is double that of winter. When the Viking 120vac refrigerator spend more time running than off.

There is something malevolent in tropical humid air. It hates anything man made. Including man.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tire UV Protection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS