RV.Net Open Roads Forum: ? Heat & Air on Ford Chassis?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> ? Heat & Air on Ford Chassis?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does Ford motor provide enough heat/air for comfort or do you have to run the RV heat/air for comfort?

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of variables. How hot/cold outside? Are you trying to heat/cool the entire motorhome or just the cockpit area? While traveling we usually only need the chassis heat/cool to stay comfortable. Does a pretty good job. There have been times during summer heat when we run the RV air and the furnace in very cold weather.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcmac214 wrote:

Does Ford motor provide enough heat/air for comfort or do you have to run the RV heat/air for comfort?

It might keep you alive, but that's about it and all that one can expect from a unit that's actually no bigger than a car's system.
Hanging a curtain behind the cockpit will help, if you're not willing to use the genset or the forced air furnace.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends upon the RV manufacturer and how well they have insulated the house that rides on Ford's chassis. I have never needed more than the chassis heat or A/C while traveling coast to coast or border to border. It keeps the whole house comfortable. And I do not need to run it on high setting.

Some RV are entry level and some are 4 season equipped.

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on your definition of comfort. As you can see from the few replies you have already, some will think the dash air is enough, and others...like me....need the house A/Cs or furnace running too.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Florida and our motor home is 37' long. During the summer, I definitely have to run at least one of the AC units with the generator. If it was just the wife and I, I might be able to get along with just the dash air but I wouldn't be comfortable. We travel with our dogs which ride in the middle of the motor home so they would be hot without running one of the AC units. Like others have said, it depends on the motor home and how you define "comfortable".

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcmac214 wrote:

Ford does NOT provide HVAC in class A motorhomes. All Ford provides is the compressor, condenser & receiver/dryer. The rest of the components are provided by the coach builders.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

dcmac214 wrote:

Ford does NOT provide HVAC in class A motorhomes. All Ford provides is the compressor, condenser & receiver/dryer. The rest of the components are provided by the coach builders.

Richard

In some (not all) cases Ford also provides the dash mounted control panel and some of the related wiring/vacuum system for the chassis HVAC on the F53 Class A.

Chum lee

viajante

Plumas Lake, CA, (near Yuba City) USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only concern is the use of gasoline. In my experience, the dash air drops your mileage almost 1 mile per gallon. Using the generator and the house air is a lot more economical and cools the entire coach. The dash heat should be okay to heat the cockpit. I just prefer the house heat.

Dave & Brenda
Shadow (Sheltie), and Zoe (Shih Tzu)Faithful Companions
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35L

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost always run the genset and house AC in the coach or the furnace depending on the time of year. For us, it's one of the reasons we bought a motorhome, to have all the comforts of home in a rolling apartment. The additional fuel usage is negligible at best. Our comfort is far more important.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> ? Heat & Air on Ford Chassis?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS