|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Pole Barn

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennrver wrote:

Thanks for all the great info on here. Sounds like 14x14 doors is the way to go? Or at least definitely 14' height and 12' wide?

As far as depth... I've researched everything from 40 to 60 feet.

Width, how far out do the slides usually come? 3 feet or so? so want to be able to walk around with the slides out? So lets say you have a 14' wide door, with a 8.5' wide coach + 3' + 3' for slides on both sides, your at about 14-15' which is basically the width of the door. So for room on the side, you want your door about 10 feet or so from the side of the barn?

So hypothetically lets say you want a symmetrical barn with 2 identical bays... how much room in between the doors? 15'?

In my example above it would be 10' + 14' (door) + 15' (in between doors) + 14' (door) + 10' = 63'

63' wide seems big, doesn't it? So where do you reduce? In between, on the sides?

My truck and fiver combo is just under 55' hooked up.. whatever you do, plan on enough extra room for me to park mine in there as well.... [emoticon]

seriously, I would go 60' deep and perhaps 40' wide . NO SMALLER.... the slide will extend out about 36".. the awning ( when open) about 8'...

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2016 Redwood 38RL Black~Silver

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend building tall enough that roof maintenance can be done without pulling the coach outside. At least room enough to walk hunched over...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built a 20'x40' one end open, no door. One thing to consider is location of the utilities. I was in the fifth wheel when I designed it. Now that I am into motorized, the power, sewer and water are on the wrong side. I refuse to back the class A in as it is more difficult and the sun would then shine on the dash so I use extensions.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Minimum header height (The opening you enter) 14" Minimum width No slide outs 15 feet.. With slides 20 feet.

Make the barn long enough to hold a 40 Footer cause... You may wish to upgrade. I'd suggest at least 60-70 feet long (Room for car as well)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

40X60 gives you 2 twenty foot bays, with a pretty nice work space in the rear, you will very seldom see a coach 60' long.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your getting good advice on height and size.

I want to add that if you are going to build one spend the extra money and get a good one. At my house there is a Morton Building and it has been there since 1983 and is holding up very well. I have seen people put up "no name brand" buildings and they are just not built as well. For one thing if you are going to be adding any sliding doors the cheap building have doors that are built so flimsy that on a windy day you can not get them open because they flex so much. The quality and gauge of the steel on cheaper building can be bad too. I'm not saying it has to be a Morton building, just don't put up a cheap one.

Also, consider adding a side door. Or, if you have the space a door on the other end so that you can move things though. If you only have a door on one end you have built a cave. Then anything that gets stuck in the back on the shed (even a small item ) can not be removed unless you pull out everything that is on front of it. Sometimes it's nice to be able to slide open a side door to access smaller things you have stuck in the back of the shed. A lawnmower, or small trailer, for example.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And don't forget your approach angles for pulling it in. No idea how your land lies.

ExxWhy

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Build it as big as you can afford and fits on your property. Never heard anyone say they built a building too small. Good insulation and the ability to heat it is a blessing.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

And don't forget your approach angles for pulling it in. No idea how your land lies.

x2. I had a neighbor that didn't think about the approach angle, and the rig wouldn't fit. If you have a steep driveway going up that's especially important.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember to make it wide enough to open your slideouts without interfering with your other stuff.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Pole Barn
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS