|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Pole Barn

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make it as large as you can fit and afford. We have a 42x96 farm machine shed with doors on the long side. Four bays each with a door 16' high. When we went from a 40' coach to a 43' we had to push one bay out 8' so the new coach would fit with access to the engine from the rear. In addition the width should be wide enough to allow access with slides extended. Remember, you're going to need room to store those many things you have in the coach and may not want to keep with you on the next trip. Also tools, oil, antifreeze, and even cleaning supplies. Although we have 50A service to the Bus, we don't have a drain for sewage or water supply in the barn. We can dump right outside of the building to a dedicated dump and can fill water from outside with an extended hose. Make it as big as you can and then go to the next size bigger. You'll never be sorry.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennrver wrote:

...Any thoughts on barn dimensions? ...

Build the absolute largest you can afford. If there parts of the building that can be deferred in order to free up budget for size, then do it. For example, if you are going to finish off the interior with sheetrock, spend that money on square footage now. Come back later to finish the interior.

Also, put in as much utility stuff as you can now. Maximize the electrical panel (200amp), even if you don't anticipate needing it. You might in the future. And it will add value to a potential buyer if/when you ever sell it.

The smartest thing I did when building my shop was put 2" PVC under the concrete floor to the other sides of the shop from where the electrical panel is located. I had no plans to use the conduit, but I installed it anyway. A few years later as I did things like add a workbench, it was very easy to simply pull wires through under the floor.

Only other suggestion is to triple check the door height. My neighbor bought a new RV last year. Went to pull it in his shop where the old RV used to sit, and it was too tall by a few inches. There has been a recent trend to make RV's more narrow & taller than a few years ago. Make for darn sure the door height will clear your RV with room to spare.

HTH!
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm from the slums on the other side of the tracks of this thread! [emoticon] I went on the cheap end with one of the erect in a day metal carports. Hey, $5k all in and my rig is covered. Anyway, one thing I haven't heard mentioned is that when calculating the width of your rig, your basement doors may swing out wider than your slides. In my case, basement doors make my rig 2' wider than the slides do. I went with an 18' width and have just barely enough to walk around with basement doors open.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there, done that, downsized. Just finishing a 24x30 barn with no support poles inside so it is wide open floor space. Room for our 24 foot class B, a workshop and a car. I still haven’t figured out what I am going to do with the huge attic space with stairs to it.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Rv half of the barn (other half is my 24x26 heated shop) is 15'6" x 35' inside with a 12'9" high door that is 12' wide. If I could I would have built it bigger but I am stuck with what the HOA allows for square footage and height. Our current unit clears the door for height by 3" on the 2nd AC unit and I have about 8" to spare on the length and that's after I removed the spare tire off the bumper.

I figure if it won't fit in the barn it's to big anyway lol. If I do decide to bigger someday I will store it offsite somewhere but in reality the next one may be shorter for ease of picking campsites and a little more nimble.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If enclosed, a good floor drain system so you can wash, drain FW, etc, in barn. Based on size I’m hearing, several man doors so it isn’t a mile trip around barn to get in.

2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennrver wrote:

wow, a lot of great info here. Thanks to everyone. I'm thinking 40 x 60 with at least one 14x14 door... perhaps make the door to the second bay smaller?

The comments about approach angles and roof work are both good, things I didn't think of before. What wall size should I look for? With a 14 foot door it's going to be around 16' walls?

Also I am on well and septic. I am wondering if it's worth it to add the water and sewer. The water wouldn't be too hard, but the septic tank might be a little more costly. Any thoughts on this? Dump station pretty beneficial?

Thanks again to all.

If at all possible, do the full hook station in the barn.
When it become the need for an extra bedroom you'll be glad you did.
We often use the RV for guests. because we have full hook ups at home.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can never have too much garage/barn

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Arcamper

Fayetteville, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted, can't get the picture thing to work.

2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's, Joy Rider 2's and disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR Hauler
2014 Ford Expedition Limited with HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 ext cab PU
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If enough room is available, and “not” some silly ordinance prohibiting it...build it. I don’t know how anyone could survive “without” one. I wish I’d followed the advice of other knowledged people.... determine the size you “need”.....and the double that! Our first one was 34’x48’x16’ (sidewalls), we now have a second barn....32’ x30’x12’ (sidewalls). We’re already wishing it were a little bigger!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Pole Barn
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS