|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Pole Barn

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pennrver

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow, a lot of great info here. Thanks to everyone. I'm thinking 40 x 60 with at least one 14x14 door... perhaps make the door to the second bay smaller?

The comments about approach angles and roof work are both good, things I didn't think of before. What wall size should I look for? With a 14 foot door it's going to be around 16' walls?

Also I am on well and septic. I am wondering if it's worth it to add the water and sewer. The water wouldn't be too hard, but the septic tank might be a little more costly. Any thoughts on this? Dump station pretty beneficial?

Thanks again to all.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

16' walls would be a minimum, I'd think, to get clearance if you have an overhead door. You may want to make them tall enough to be able to at least crawl/scoot along the roof of an RV with it in the garage for maintenance, etc. work; as with anything, it's a question of cost vs. convenience. If you ever have need of, say, replacing a rubber or TPO roof, being able to work under cover is a tremendous help.

For septic, I would see if it was possible to install a "clean out" somewhere outside that's somewhat accessible to the RV. If it's a lot of work to tie in the pole barn I would not worry about that unless you're thinking of using the RV as a guest room in the pole barn much. (Note the words "clean out" rather than "dump station" or "RV connection"; the latter often need a lot of environmental board approvals, engineering studies, and so forth, and possibly enlarging the existing septic system, while the latter is simply an addition to make maintaining the system easier. If you aren't dumping your RV tanks on a regular basis it shouldn't tax the capacity of your septic system.)

For water, I would suggest if possible setting up the run from the pressure tank (which I assume is likely in the basement of your house) to the pole barn such that it can be drained by gravity. It requires a bit of planning, and may not be practical due to the terrain, but if you can it makes it a whole lot easier to winterize the connection and obviates the need of operating heat tape through the winter and/or of burying the water line many feet below the surface of the ground, below the frost line.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 03:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built mine 18’x40’ with 16’ walls and a 14’ door. 32’ 5th wheel fits nicely. I can open all the slides and still get past them, and easily walk around when the slides are in.

I have other buildings, so this is dedicated to the RV only.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in the country and have a very large yard. I put a 20 foot high 41 feet long and 40 foot wide metal shed up. I left mine open at both ends so I could just drive thru. I keep my 20 foot bass boat, jeep wrangler, 40 foot fifth wheel and my dually under it with no problem. I ran power to it with two 30 amp outlets with one 50 amp outlet. I had a 40 foot dp for a few years which also fit fine. If I was putting up one I would definitely make it high enough to check the roof out while under the shed. You never know when you will need to get up there.

I didn't need a work shop as we have an attached two car garage so it all depends on your room and what you want. Just don't go too small.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the comment about building it as a large as you can afford and property allows.
14' height is preferable, but you can find plenty of 5ers that are less than 13' high, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that if you have an issue with 14'.
If it s a true "pole barn" and you're looking at side entry, then 11.5' width (12' nominal less the poles) for the opening is more than enough. If you can't back into a 11.5' width then reconsider your plans ;-)

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Oldmaple

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pole barns make a jump in price when you go from 14' side walls to 16' sidewalls since you need bigger poles (more than going from 12' to 14'). You can't get a 14' overhead door with a 14' sidewall though. A sliding door would get you the most overhead clearance.

benbovac

Horse Country Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is 28 x 52, 14ft door and 18ft wall height. Works very well for our 43ft 5th wheel or any other rv we may purchase. If anything I would have went wider, but may layout didnt alllow that for a reasonable cost.

BenBovAC
2015 GMC 3500 Denali SRW
2011 Montana 345DBQ :

">

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennrver wrote:

Dump station pretty beneficial?

Thanks again to all.

I already spoke about having a cleanout for easy dumping, and it was crazy-handy for dumping the tanks when we used our Class C more as a "day camper" (tailgating, going to parks with the grandkids, etc) But we sold that barn and bought a bigger one, that didn't have an accessible cleanout. We have a nice State Park about 6 miles from our home, so we simply used their dump facilities when needed (I will confess that if we just had a bit of grandkid tinkle in the tank, we'd just back it way out into the puckerbrush and open the valve. The nearest neighbor is about 1/2-mile away). So no, it's not essential - just "handy".

John Burke

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever heard someone say " Dang I wish I would have built it smaller".

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Span width increases Const costs proportionally more than length, especially if you want clear span.
What else are you going to do with the shop? Doesn’t sound like you’re a gearhead or cabinet builder, however I’d still build as big as you can fit/afford.
Resale wise, no one ever looked at buying a house with a detached shop and said “oh no, that shops too large, let’s look for one that is more cramped. “
However what your proposing at 60’ + wide is more like an airplane hanger than a RV barn. 40’ wide will get you 3 bays and room around each vehicle.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Pole Barn
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS