|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wife wants to move to a Class A, or C - bigger

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk to the wife and find out the "Whys" of the MH. We looked at a couple Class As a number of years ago when we had a 35' bunkhouse FW. Teenage kids were all excited about one we saw with an L-shaped couch which means they would be facing forward and have a better view than in our quad cab truck. However, when I asked Why, they said because with the MH they could go to the bathroom or get a drink/snack while I was driving down the road. As soon as I explained they would have to stay buckled up while the MH was in motion along with the fact that if they needed a break I probably did also, they lost all interest in ANY MH.

Eventually, I imagine we will kind of leave the TC world but when we do we both agree it will be either for a MH towing a small TC or more than likely a 30' TT behind a small TC.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 66,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got pressured into a Class C.

Ours Winnie is 24.5 feet long, a foot more than our last big truck/camper. It's a dually. So, handling is better. We lost the 4x4 and ground clearance. However, the living space is much more roomy and comfortable.

I miss my campers. But, no regrets. Things change.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed our AF 811 a lot. Now we have a class c.
Leprechaun 260 so it’s about 4 feet longer than the tc.
The climbing was getting to us. Times change.
There is no one size fits all

'11 GMC 2500 D/A 4x4
2017 Big Horn FL3750
Arctic Fox 811
'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

sonuvabug

Mid-West Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a 27' Class C when we had a full house plus lots of nephews & nieces. They grew up and outgrew camping with us. That was fine as it was a lot of work and we paid our dues. Owing two cars plus a Class C meant three engines, trannies, brake systems etc. to maintain. Not cheap.

Sold the Class C, sold one car and bought a pickup and TC. Perfect for just us two now and we only have two vehicles to maintain (albeit one of them is a big azz truck). Needs change over time ... so do solutions.

2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should take your wife to a dealer and let her do a test drive to see how she likes driving a Class A.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a lot to be said for a short Class A towing a small car over TC. You said in your OP you don't use the truck as a second vehicle only to haul the camper. So to me one of the main advantages is gone to use the truck as a DD. The short class A will have a better suspension compared to a C and higher HP rating. It will have more room inside, more storage for stuff and more water storage in general for dry camping. With a small tow car that gets 40 mpgs it will offset the cost of gas the Class A getting 9 mpgs, most with this set up usually put on as many if not more miles on the tow car. Things change as we get older and the extra space and convenience that the wife wants is important. When I started with this set up 15 years ago I still took our back packs in the MH thinking I would use them up in Alaska in the tow car but never did. My son and GS used them 2 years ago when we went out west. What worked good for us in our 50's no longer is good for us in our 70's so things change.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wife wants to move to a Class A, or C - bigger
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS