RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Another "Can I Tow This" question.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Another "Can I Tow This" question.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rose090999

Collegeville PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm probably opening a huge can of worms but I'll ask anyway. I'm looking at a 2019 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL and plan on towing it with a 2015 Ram 1500. The payload capacity of my truck is 1600lb's and I'll be right at that number when I'm towing (me, wife, dog, cooler, generator, motorcycle, gas, hitch weight, etc...). The UVW of the camper is 5850lb. I'll also be towing with a Reese WD hitch. So can I/should I tow this TT with my truck or should I look at a bigger TV?

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do it. My 2015 Ram has a slightly lower payload than yours. Your GAWR is 3900 lbs per axle, which, in my opinion, gives you a fair amount of wiggle room. Make sure your tires are aired up fully, your hitch is adjusted correctly, and the trailer is loaded correctly, and go for it. Once again, JMHO.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignore the UVW, it is meaningless for our purposes. What is the gross weight of the trailer and what is the towing capacity of your truck taken fom the door sticker? Now subtract the weight of the dog and all the gearfrom the truck figure, I suspect you will be close to or actually overweight. The truck will likely still pull it but it won't be an enjoyable trip in cross winds or the mountains.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that the truck is very marginal for this trailer. While it will do it, if you have any kind of adverse conditions, it will be white knuckle, and may even be a "never again" moment.

I have an F-150 with a payload capacity of 1895#, and tow a trailer with a UVW of 4806#. My trailer's GVWR is 6000#. I am at the absolute maximum of what I think my truck can do.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll chime back in. My trailer is about 6500 lbs with a tongue weight in the 850 lb range. My truck is typically loaded with a 120 lb generator and probably 250 lbs of other stuff. Add that to me and my wife, and we are usually 100 or 200 lbs over our GVWR. I've towed with this combination since I bought this truck new, and did it with a '97 F150 before that. I pay attention to routine maintenance, tire pressure, and ensure everything is dialed in properly. I tow in the mountains of the northwest usually. My set up has always been rock solid under all conditions that I've managed to encounter, including emergency maneuvers while descending twisty mountain slopes. Absolutely no white knuckle experiences with my Ram. The old F150 required constant concentration, not so for the newer Ram.

In fact, I think you could garner good info by going to youtube and checking out some of the "fast lane truck" towing tests. They tow heavier than you will be and rave about that truck.

* This post was edited 03/13/19 07:33pm by TurnThePage *

rose090999

Collegeville PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I thought my truck would be marginal for this TT. Just wanted to see if people have towed with similar setups and how good/bad it's going to be. I was all set to get a 3/4 ton truck last week but got disgusted with the lack of incentives being offered right now. Walked out of a dealer after he didn't want to take the deal i offered him [emoticon] So i'm set on keeping my 1500 for now....

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would give it a try as well. You can always upgrade your truck later if you are not comfortable with the 1500. I would buy a hitch with integrated sway control either way.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with those who say, give it a try. I also question those who say your rig is "marginal" for that trailer. I suppose when your numbers are close you could say marginal. If you want to actually know, get some numbers. Actually weigh your trailer loaded as if you were going out camping. Take a look at the actual tongue weight. How does the trailer look when hooked up? Are you level? And, how does it tow? You will soon know if you feel comfortable with the combination.

Getting a bigger truck is a good idea if your really need one and can afford one. Do you need one? I guess that depends on who you talk to. I tow my current trailer that weighs about 6500 loaded for camping with a half ton Tundra. I have an Equalizer hitch that levels things out nicely and have never experienced any white knuckles. I also have over 40K miles on my current set up. I have heard many good things about the Ford Ecoboosts and the newer Ram 1500. I would not hesitate pulling your trailer with any of these. But, if you are the type to load the bed heavy with wood, water, generators and all sorts of other items, you might want to get the 3/4ton. They do want lots of money for a new one, don't they?

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Timtation

Mid-West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Ram 5.7 two wheel drive so a bit more capacity and use the Andersen hitch but it is an older trailer which is heavier. I have never had a problem with towing in more than at least 10,000 miles of towing. Go for it. Back when I was first interested people towed 30' Airstreams with 1962 Oldsmobiles. Not that that was optimum but it was normal. FWIW. Tim

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 02:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timtation wrote:

I have a Ram 5.7 two wheel drive so a bit more capacity and use the Andersen hitch but it is an older trailer which is heavier. I have never had a problem with towing in more than at least 10,000 miles of towing. Go for it. Back when I was first interested people towed 30' Airstreams with 1962 Oldsmobiles. Not that that was optimum but it was normal. FWIW. Tim

Not normal on an RV board, especially this one. You need a 1 ton diesel dually to pull a 4×8 landscaping trailer hauling 2 sheets of styrofoam.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Another "Can I Tow This" question.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS