RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Another "Can I Tow This" question.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Another "Can I Tow This" question.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 03:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People can and do manage to tow with overloaded tow vehicles. They are in for a treat if they ever tow with a more competent unit. When folks come on here saying that some component, like the tires or rear axle are rated much higher than what the manufacturers advise for a gross vehicle weight, they are playing with numbers to justify their decisions. One tows with a whole vehicle, not just the transmission, rear axle, front tires, or cigarette lighter, no matter how much "extra" strength the individual components have. Otherwise, all they would have to do is put bigger and bigger rear axles under a Ranger to create a towing monster.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

Timtation wrote:

I have a Ram 5.7 two wheel drive so a bit more capacity and use the Andersen hitch but it is an older trailer which is heavier. I have never had a problem with towing in more than at least 10,000 miles of towing. Go for it. Back when I was first interested people towed 30' Airstreams with 1962 Oldsmobiles. Not that that was optimum but it was normal. FWIW. Tim

Not normal on an RV board, especially this one. You need a 1 ton diesel dually to pull a 4×8 landscaping trailer hauling 2 sheets of styrofoam.

I agree with the post about 30' air streams and 62 olds. Half tons and trailer hitches have come a long way. You can do more with less truck in 2019. most people drive their tow vehicle daily. you don't want to park a 1 ton dually at the office on a daily basis.

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a average weight 25’ trailer, so a newer 1/2 ton should be fine. Start getting into some of the so-called “1/2 towable” 27’ & 28’ Trailers, then you really need to start considering a bigger truck.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rose090999 wrote:

I'm probably opening a huge can of worms but I'll ask anyway. I'm looking at a 2019 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL and plan on towing it with a 2015 Ram 1500. The payload capacity of my truck is 1600lb's and I'll be right at that number when I'm towing (me, wife, dog, cooler, generator, motorcycle, gas, hitch weight, etc...). The UVW of the camper is 5850lb. I'll also be towing with a Reese WD hitch. So can I/should I tow this TT with my truck or should I look at a bigger TV?
Looked of the Gross weight of your trailer on the manufacturers site - it is 7495. So when calculating hitch weight, consensus usually hovers around 13% so 7495 * .13 = 974.

So your most likely not going to load almost 2K lbs of stuff, so I'd also say go for it and see how you like it.

I'm surprised you can't get a good deal on a 2018 - usually dealerships will want to get rid of them. Try at the end of the month.

I'm sure you will enjoy that TT - happy camping!

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rose090999

Collegeville PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everybody. Looks like the consensus is to "go for it!". I'll hold off on buying the 3/4 ton truck until after I see how it tows with my current setup. The local Ford dealer only wanted to knock off 2K off of the 47K MSRP of a 2019 F250 XLT...so I walked. I might be delusional but I would think that they could knock at least 5-7K off of that MSRP. Oh well, gave me time to think and post on this board! Thanks everybody.....

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GVW of the trailer is no indicator unless you start hauling bricks in it. I use UVW plus 2000.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

Looked of the Gross weight of your trailer on the manufacturers site - it is 7495.

rose090999 wrote:

The UVW of the camper is 5850lb.

dave54 wrote:

The GVW of the trailer is no indicator unless you start hauling bricks in it. I use UVW plus 2000.

So for the OP's trailer you'd be at 7850... [emoticon]

mlh

Walker, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you weigh your truck? If you didn't, then you may not really have 1500 lbs of payload. On my last Ram 1500, I thought I had 1000-1200 lbs of payload, but my actual payload with 1/2 tank of fuel and just the driver was 720 lbs.

2018 Ram 2500 crew, 4x4, 6.4L, 3.73
2019 Puma 29QBSS
Equalizer weight distribution and sway control

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

Looked of the Gross weight of your trailer on the manufacturers site - it is 7495.

rose090999 wrote:

The UVW of the camper is 5850lb.

dave54 wrote:

So for the OP's trailer you'd be at 7850... [emoticon]

Yes pretty close. I agree with using trailer GVWR and keep it in the tow rating.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chances are, like most of us you will end up at or near your max cargo limit.

That is a polite way of saying that when you finally get to the CAT scales; like me you will go "WOW".

But I have driven half-tons since the seventies, occasionally you crowd the payload limit. For some this is a white knuckle drive, for others just a heavy load.

For reference the literature said my TT weighted 5004# dry with 400# on the tongue, the CAT scales said the TT was 6200# when loaded for the road with 750 lbs. of that on the tongue.

Good Luck,

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Another "Can I Tow This" question.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS