RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Salting a Battery--Ruined It?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Salting a Battery--Ruined It?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A camping buddy got hold of me (afterwards, natch! [emoticon] ) and said two 6s had some low cells when he went to check them after way too long, but I gather one low in one and two low in the other, so he was reading the Internet (oh no!) and he read that Epsom salts was the answer. So he did it.

I am working with him by email to see what if anything can be done about what is really going on with his batteries. What I would like to know in the meantime, is if there is any way to undo whatever the Epsom salts might have done (it did improve his hydrometer reading he says)

I told him that salt water is more dense than fresh, same as acid is more dense than fresh water, so the bobber will float higher, so he won't do that again. But if the batteries just need equalizing or whatever and might be ok, what about that salt in there?

Thanks.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like a legitimate treatment but only offering a short term boost. On Battery-U there's no mention of removing the Epsom. Top off the cells as you would but using an Epsom mixture instead of distilled water and then do a full charge.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK first I have ever heard of this, but there are many webpages supporting this Scheme Including one from Rutgers Univ which has a PDF up for this process.

The page above claims that it works but you need to dump the MgSO4 solution and replace it with fresh battery acid. Which is 30% H2SO4 IIRC. Not sure where you'd buy that but maybe someplace like a Interstate Battery shop. Be cautious handling the acid since it will burn you or blind you. Wear gloves, kitchen gloves would work, and eye protection.

You can buy more or less 90% or so sulfuric acid for drain cleaning at hardware stores but if you don't know how to dilute strong acid LOOK it up and PREVENT Disaster. I'm not going to tell you how because if it goes wrong I don't want to be responsible. Also that acid is 'technical grade' which is the least pure form sold, not sure if that will work in a battery.

Looking up battery acid it looks like auto parts stores still carry it, about $10. So don't try to dilute it.

* This post was edited 03/13/19 06:29pm by agesilaus *

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Then switch off your headlights, step on the starter and your car will start with amazing new vitality"

Dual prong electrodes will double the energy of your spark plugs

The VORNADO spins the air going through your carburetor giving it immense velocity

The pellets you dropped into your has tank actually plates new metal onto the cylinder walls.

STP The Racer's Edge.

The usual alchemy chant had a person adding around one teaspoon of magnesium sulfate per cell. ******* on a forest fire. In theory it strips sulfates off of plates -- in reality it has the magnesium stripping off 1000% more healthy active material than sulfated material.

Probably did no harm but it's better to stop giving an enema for a headache.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Mex (glad to have you back!) His batts might be toast anyway, but at least it won't be from however much salt he dumped in the low cells. [emoticon]

You forgot "F-310" in was it Chevron? And the Tiger in your Tank ESSO had/has. [emoticon]

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/09/30/archi........claims-for-a-gas-additive-are-false.html

* This post was edited 03/13/19 06:54pm by BFL13 *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batteries were already burnt toast. No amount of butter and jam will make it taste good again.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Batteries were already burnt toast. No amount of butter and jam will make it taste good again.

Probably, but we have to go through the drill to prove it before he gives up.

He has one of those trays that pull out that holds his four 6s, but the tray only comes out far enough to expose the first two. So the back two got neglected and ran dry or something--not entirely clear from what he said. Anyway, we will sort it all out using his money, not mine! [emoticon]

Lwiddis

near La Cuesta Encantada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d use VORNADO and/or STP if they’d sponsor me.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You forgot PLATFORMATE from Shell oil Co.

But the PLATFORMER was real. Another type of distillate reformer. No one else had a platinum catalyst reformer. Was abandoned when I got there in the late sixties. The platformer went offline just as soon as the Alkylate plant went online in the LOP complex in 1966. The alkylate product was light-years better and Shell sold the seven million dollars worth of platinum at a tidy profit. Fleur Corporation refinery design documents were housed there until the Tank Farm Boiler House crew stole them.

Those were "The Days"...

jake2250

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fell for the "Salting" of the battery, but I tried it on a "Core Charge".. Didn't work,, knew in my mind it wouldn't work.
Good thing I didn't try the "Potato in the exhaust" trick to prevent moisture from rotting my muffler!
Duh,,

But I gotta say,, the Banana's and saw dust in the rear differential sure did quiet it down allot!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Salting a Battery--Ruined It?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS