RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Salting a Battery--Ruined It?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Salting a Battery--Ruined It?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Hucksters added magnesium sulfate to a perfectly new discharged battery. It would strip excellent but sulfated loaded plate material and prstidigitate a phony CCA increase at the cost of battery lifespan.

Lattice linked aged sulfation is another beast altogether,

Godzilla in a rubber suit merchandising. But the gullible took it hook, line, sinker, rod & reel. Maybe the boat and lake to boot.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried the Epsom salts trick many years ago. My immediate response was "WOW, it worked." It started my car like a brand new battery. What I didn't know was every minute I left it in the battery it was eating away my plates. Within about month that battery was no longer a battery.

Maybe he can take it to a battery shop to get it flushed and properly filled but it's probably not worth it.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Salt in the battery? How about sawdust in your automatic transmission if it's slipping? Hardwood sawdust works better than pine or cedar, but the natural oils in the pine or cedar go a long way regarding corrosion prevention. Three friends and I pissed in a radiator one night after taping up a lower hose and made it home. Urine has salt in it. Maybe try taking a whiz in the battery?

* This post was edited 03/14/19 04:33am by Ralph Cramden *

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate, table salt or sea salt is sodium chloride. Completely two different compounds. They share nothing in common but the word salt.

I thought the saw dust was for manual transmissions and differentials. It helps mesh worn out gears, as the folk lore goes. I remember an Andy Griffith episode when Barney bought a old car that had saw dust in the rear end.

* This post was edited 03/14/19 04:52am by 2112 *

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blended monkey pickles (leave the skins on) will make your slush box shift like new (for a while) and make your car smell like a Dairy Queen when the tranny gets hot too.

Egg whites in the radiator seals leaks and sawdust in the differentials cure bad gears too.... For a while at least.

His batteries are toast, burnt toast. Time to replace and put the epsom salts back in the medicine cabinet.

A spud in the tailpipe works wonders. It seals the exhaust and your motor won't start (gasoline engine). Pulled that trick a few times when I was a kid, on people I didn't like. Shoved the spud way up the tailpipe with a broom handle.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate, table salt or sea salt is sodium chloride. Completely two different compounds. They share nothing in common but the word salt.

I thought the saw dust was for manual transmissions and differentials. It helps mesh worn out gears, as the folk lore goes. I remember an Andy Griffith episode when Barney bought a old car that had saw dust in the rear end.

I didn't know that it is not salt. Learned something. Mex mentioned magnesium.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water. PURE Lab grade distilled water. IS. believe it or not an insulator.

BUT WHEN YOU ADD SALE (Be it Epson or table) It becomes very conductive and .. Shorted his battery out.

There is one thing you can do about it.. Visit Costco or Sam's club and pick up a pair of brand new GC-2 batteries.. (Or Interstate or my choice is DEKA as well DEKA's are 100% US content and I like to support USA).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delete

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Water. PURE Lab grade distilled water. IS. believe it or not an insulator.

BUT WHEN YOU ADD SALE (Be it Epson or table) It becomes very conductive and .. Shorted his battery out.

Electrolyte needs to be conductive for a battery to work; otherwise, it cannot conduct a current. Battery acid is quite conductive on its own. Most things (salts and acids generally) dissolved in water will make it conductive due to the ions formed in the solution; exceptions are substances such as alcohols that, while miscible with water, do not ionize when dissolving.

It's not so much that the salt water shorts out the battery, but rather (according to those here who know the chemistry far more than I do) that the salt solution attacks the plates over time.

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be interested in just how much improvement and for how long afterwards before cliff diving begins, that epsom salts make.

But this info would likely just be used by used car sellers and the like, hoping to not have to put in a new starter battery before sale.

But I guess there are plenty of integrity free, something for nothing folks everywhere, so magnesium salting of rv batteries before sale is not out of the question.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Salting a Battery--Ruined It?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS