RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: CB Radios??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CB Radios??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

I have one as well but mine s a Single Side Band 10 meter radio and CB combined. We use ours in conjunction with handheld units when camping in the forest to communicate. Not so much on the road. Hard to distill the gibberish from factual information.

It is not legal to transmit on the CB bands with a radio that is capable of transmitting outside of band. In other words, there is no legal radio that can transmit on the CB frequencies and the 10 meter amateur bands. All CB radios must be type accepted by the FCC; the radio you describe is obviously not.

I took the CB out of my truck because I don't have any interest in talking on it. I do have a CB in my offroad truck because other offroaders use it.

GHop

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use ours for weather and traffic updates.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

...It is not legal to transmit on the CB bands with a radio that is capable of transmitting outside of band. In other words, there is no legal radio that can transmit on the CB frequencies and the 10 meter amateur bands. All CB radios must be type accepted by the FCC; the radio you describe is obviously not...

true enough but it is not illegal to listen to CB frequencies on any radio capable of receiving them.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one that I connect up but not on usually. It's an old Teaberry.
Truckers don't use it much anymore.
When we get nearer to places like Indy we turn it on.
Truckers, a lot of them have switched to a different channel, I think I heard.
Thinking of a new 10 meter with CB too. The antenna is also the fm/am antennae, so that needs some changes too probably.
I doubt I can reach beyond two miles either way with the antennae plus I had the meter replaced some years ago and they took out the high powered crystal.I guess they wanted it for their own.
If just the other RVers would use the CB perhaps on our own channel we might be able to avoid three hour and more delays from wrecks etc.
We had a Lady with a bathroom emergency knock on our door while stopped,for who knows how long one time. Yes we let her use our facilities.
She was a lady. I think we had much or dinner, the wait was so long.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CB Radios??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS