|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gooseneck fifth wheel adapter question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
BucknMindy

Safford

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for input on the Anderson gooseneck adapter. I'm in the process of purchaseing a new fifth wheel toy hauler. I currently have a B&W gooseneck hitch already installed in my truck. The new trailer is 8800 uvw and 11550 gvw. Has anyone used this hitch and what are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's "Andersen" with an "e" and it's NOT a gooseneck adapter. It simply attaches to the truck with your existing gooseneck ball like the B&W and other hitches do. A gooseneck adapter is a completely different animal. We pulled a 14K fifth wheel over 12,000 miles with an Andersen Ultimate with no issues at all.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parents have one, been flawless the last few years. Spend the extra money for the aluminum one, the steel is heavy.

Simple to install/remove.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check out the Andersen hitch mentioned;
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

Or the same type hitch in a Pullrite,
clicky link

This link is a GN adapter GN adapter

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you remove the hitch frequently and want the lighter weight, I see no sense in spending more money, by changing from one of the best hitches on the market to a different hitch.

And strictly speaking the Andersen hitch really isn't consider a gooseneck adapter.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terminology is important.
That said, my PullRite single point hitch is awesome. A lot easier to hitch up than my previous Curt Q20. Just get it over the cone and drop the trailer. Rock and roll.
More importantly, installing and removing from the truck bed doesn't require the engine pulling hoist like the Curt.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

tchil

Woodland Park, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another feature i like about the Andersen Ultimate is that once you drop the trailer It is easier to be sure your hitched correctly and won't drop the trailer on your truck. 5th wheels can be a little more finicky that way. The only down side is that you will end up using your landing gear a little more. Specially when unhitching. It is also slightly slower to unhitch since you have to get the trailer coupler all the way above the ball.

Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used the AUH on our previous rig and had no trouble with it at all. Very light, easy to install/remove/store. Wouldn't hesitate to use it again if the situation allowed. Sold our old 5er and AUH to a friend and he hauls it all over the place. He evens hauls one of his gooseneck trailers with it.

Would have bought another one, but the dealer where we got our new GD 5er from specifically stated that the warranty would not be honored if we used it. Online research suggested this is a gray area, and email chain between myself and GD stated that the warranty would be voided. So we went with a B & W and have been happy with it.

fj12ryder wrote:

Unless you remove the hitch frequently and want the lighter weight, I see no sense in spending more money, by changing from one of the best hitches on the market to a different hitch.

And strictly speaking the Andersen hitch really isn't consider a gooseneck adapter.

I agree with what you're saying, but I believe the OP is probably saying they have the B & W Turnover Ball, not a 5er hitch. Though I might be wrong...

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Read again. He said he has a B&W turnover ball in hos truck not a B&W 5er hitch.

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been running one for 4yrs now (steel version) with my 12klb GVWR TH attached to B&W Turnover and its been great. No complaints and would buy again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gooseneck fifth wheel adapter question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS