|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gooseneck fifth wheel adapter question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
slapshot12

FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been using an AUH for over a year and really like it. I also use it with a B&W turnover ball. The AUH is very easy to move around by yourself, and is very easy to connect/disconnect.

'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

Jon L

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'v ben using the AUH for 4 years and love it. No issues at all. I'v never used a traditional 5th wheel hitch so I can't compare.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/19 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BucknMindy wrote:

Thanks everyone. Guess my spell check is slipping and I apologize for the calling the AUH an adapter. Yes I do currently have a turnover B&W already installed and I am in Safford. I'm getting close to retiring so we plan on spending much more time traveling. For now I would want to remove the AUH often so I still have my truck bed. The idea of something much lighter is a selling factor also as well as the smooth ride. This is only my second 5th wheel, my current one is a little 22' prowler so if Im not up to speed on all the lingo again I apologize. Thanks again for all the info.

Personally, I'm a B&W fan and, since you've already got the TO Ball, you could look around for a used Companion, if you wanted to save some cash, or buy a new one. Yes, it's a lot heavier than the AUH, but it does come out fairly easily and leaves your clean bed. B&W is one helluva company to deal with and, if you're an original owner, they really take care of you if you need parts. (They're still sending me new u-bolts for my old-style companion every few years...for free.) I'm =not= dissing the AUH, since I have no experience with them. I've owned my Companion going on 15 years, and it's served me well and still works perfectly.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/19 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings,

I am a new member here and in fact just read this post while deciding which forum to subscribe too. The topic interested me because I have some experience with this hitch system. It is a great solution to those with a center mounted ball hitch system and seems to pull rather nicely, as I understand from people I know that have them. My opinion on this hitch system is not going to be popular with anyone who has been using it. I am not an engineer but I am a law enforcement officer that investigates vehicle collisions and I am a trained commercial class A driver.

That being said, I have had two experiences with the mentioned hitch system and both times was in the course of a collision investigation and both times the hitch failed at impact. Specifically, the pyramid structure did not hold up during the impact which resulted in the trailer striking the rear of pull vehicle cab. The last such case was an 8k TT/Ram 1500 hitting a Chevy S10 at 30 mph. The fist was a 12k Terry/Ford combination that hit a Miata rear end. Those two instances alone, would shy me away from this style of hitch and stick with the 5th wheel.

It is my underatanding that B&W makes a 5th wheel hitch that fits its center bed box. I would certainly look into that instead.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh man, where's the popcorn. [emoticon]

There are frequent wars of words here between the adherents of the B&W hitch versus the proponents of the Aluminum Andersen hitch. No serious flame wars, but it can get contentious at times. [emoticon]

And welcome to the forum.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

94-D2, any experience investigating accidents with standard 5th wheel hitches? What did those accident scenes look like?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/19 04:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

94-D2 wrote:

That being said, I have had two experiences with the mentioned hitch system and both times was in the course of a collision investigation and both times the hitch failed at impact. Specifically, the pyramid structure did not hold up during the impact which resulted in the trailer striking the rear of pull vehicle cab. The last such case was an 8k TT/Ram 1500 hitting a Chevy S10 at 30 mph. The fist was a 12k Terry/Ford combination that hit a Miata rear end. Those two instances alone, would shy me away from this style of hitch and stick with the 5th wheel.

It is my underatanding that B&W makes a 5th wheel hitch that fits its center bed box. I would certainly look into that instead.

This should be interesting...
The entire internet can offer maybe 2-3 examples of supposed failure of the AUH, none of which involved a collision. Now a brand new forum member shows up and has 2 exclusive examples by himself. If the "pyramid structure" failed, that hardly means that the trailer would have come dislodged from the coupler or ball. In fact, no other report has shown an absolute failure of the frame...only deflection of the members.

Accident reports are public record. Please provide a link to the reports.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/19 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

94-D2 wrote:

This should be interesting...
The entire internet can offer maybe 2-3 examples of supposed failure of the AUH, none of which involved a collision. Now a brand new forum member shows up and has 2 exclusive examples by himself. If the "pyramid structure" failed, that hardly means that the trailer would have come dislodged from the coupler or ball. In fact, no other report has shown an absolute failure of the frame...only deflection of the members.

Accident reports are public record. Please provide a link to the reports.

Yes would like to read these links.

ZeeLet50

Alden, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/19 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for the Andersen. I have the same setup you are looking at. The B&W turnover ball is nice as it leaves the bed flat when not in use. The AU is light and easy to install. Other good points are when hitching it is easy to line up and ensure positive connection. Yes you do have to raise the front of camper higher but its never been an issue. I see from previous picture that chains are available. I may have to invest in those just for added piece of mind.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/19 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if the Andersen hitches that were damaged were the old style that have been damaged in the past, or one of the new ones that were supposed to be stronger.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gooseneck fifth wheel adapter question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS