RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Re-coat roof already?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Re-coat roof already?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a mobile RV service guy come over to the house to look at a couple of items on my 2011 Arctic Fox 27-5. One of the items was to check out the caulking on the roof. He told me that besides the caulking being all cracked and needing replacement, he also said my roof needs a complete re-coat (he calls it paint - in two stages of base and top coats) job. He quoted me $3,000 for the whole job. The first owner lived in Bakersfield, CA and I'm in SoCal. Yeah, it's hot in the summer but certainly not desert type heat. I would have hoped the roof would have lasted longer than 8 years before needing this level of service.

I'm a DIYer for many things, but climbing on a roof is not something I'm comfortable with. If I go up on a ladder next to it, can I see enough to confirm that it really needs re-coating? What should I be looking for?

If it does, is this a fair price for a 28ft trailer (includig re-caulking)?

2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 Laramie SWB QuadCab CTD, 48RE (auto), Putco Boss Bars, Pullrite Superglide, LineX, Prodigy, PacBrake

2011 Arctic Fox 27-5L

yankeecamper

FUQUAY VARINA, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try RV Armor

Barb and Rich, Fuquay Varina, NC
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Tradesmen Quad Cab
Dually 4x2
6.7Liter HO Cummings Turbo Diesel
2017 Bighorn traveler 39MB

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or better yet, RV Flex Armor.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No it’s not a fair price. RV repair guy in our park quoted me $600 to two coat my roof with Henry’s solar roof coating. Had a guy next to me had it done and it looks like a new roof. I looked up the cost of materials would only be about $80, but Father Time keep telling me not climb on the roof any more

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcm1959 wrote:

Or better yet, RV Flex Armor.

X2. Superb Product.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for Flex Armor.....if you plan on keeping your RV for a while, as it’s not cheap. The application charges are based upon linear feet of coverage, and if roof repairs are needed prior to the roof application! Do some research, it’s darn near “bullet proof”, and eliminates all of the roof seams.

Everything is removed from the roof, the roof is inspected, the mounting flanges, brackets, etc. for all of your roof components are reattached to the roof, then the new roof material is sprayed on. Essentially the entire roof and all flanges, brackets, etc., become part of the roof.....no potential leakage. Then the ac’s, fan bodies, vent caps, etc. are connected to their bases.

We did this two summers ago, including our slide-outs....it’s not cheap, but we thought it was worth the expense. The only potential negative....When it is wet, or has snow on it....it is slick as “snot on a door knob”! We do some fall/winter camping...To remove the snow is an extreme challenge. If videoed, you may make an episode on “Wipe Out or “ Jackass”! You will be on your hands and knees, holding on to whatever is available. Golf shoes would help....but, not recommended! [emoticon]

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If looking at a DIY application, consider a high solid silicone roof. Unlike a membrane roof, it's a solid continuous roll/brush on application that eliminates the need for caulking, tape or lap sealant. It's also a soft roof so fused repairs are done with a tube of the silicone and a putty knife. It also has insulating properties especially on metal or solid fiberglass roofs. Another benefit is you can buy the material at major home improvement stores like Loews or Home Depot. Since this is a raw material applied application, you can do things like create a water diverter or channel on the roof or edges to suit your needs. Since it's a flexible material, you really don't have to worry about stretching, twisting, bending, flexing or anything else as it just becomes a huge silicone sheet bonded to your roof.

Now, there are some pros and cons that must be considered and not all roofs are good candidates, but it's a excellent product at a reasonable cost that is becoming more and more popular. If you can paint an exterior wall, you can coat your roof with this product.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

slomark

San Luis Obispo, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend is an rv tech and recently suggested that the lifespan of the roof on my 09 Sundance would be extended considerably by painting it with the Decor product, it's an EPDM roof. After purchasing several gallons of paint and cleaner on eBay, I tackled this project last week. It took two hours to tape off everything and hang plastic on everything (following the Dicor instructions video) and the results were worth a full days effort.

I had cleaned the roof and touched up the caulk annually, and store it in the shade here in San Luis Obispo. But I can definitely see the benefits of doing this project.

'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I visited Rvroof.com aka RV Flex Armor store in Green Cove Springs, FL, yesterday. I have seen them at the Tampa RV show for years now. Even though My roof is in great shape and only 5 years old, I have decided to do the $6100 roof on my fiver. It will put an end to checking, re-caulking, etc., to the roof.
After all, if you have a good rig you plan to keep, then just like your home, a good roof is s must.
Your AF fiver has good bones and if you plan to keep it then I think the investment in a sprayed roof is well worth it.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let him do the resealing. Give your rubber roof material mfg a 1-800 and ask them what they recommend.
My 31' 1997 5er with a rubber roof has never had any type of coating. It no longer white after 22 years however this unit has sat in its trailer barn when not on the road.
I do a roof inspection (everything) twice a year (spring and late fall) and reseal spots here and there with Dicor if needed maybe every 5-6 years. Some OEM seal areas is still doing its job. The trailer was nine years old before the sealant around the skylite and one roof jack needed a bit of self leveling Dicor.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Re-coat roof already?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS