RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

Hi all

First time pickup buyer. We will custom order a 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat
A Hallmark pop up camper will be in it 99.999 % of the time. Currently learning about what options / packages we want.

A few questions to help guide me…

Do I care about Fog Lamps? (does anyone ever use them?)

Do we care about Pedals: ­ Power Adjustable…?
My wife and I share driving when going camping.
Do the driver memories recall the Power Pedals?

Do we need to be Lariat to get power seats and power seat memories? I can’t figure this out.

I didn’t see heated and cooled seats listed anywhere on Lariat specs…. do we need to go higher to get heated and cooled seats? :-(

Do we want to get the 4.3 Electronic Locking Axle?
I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo…?

If we move to the midwest (a possibility) … would we want the remote start option, so we can warm up the F350 before getting in it?

How hard is it to wire in external lights, light bars, etc to the Ford optional Outfitter Switches?

with the vehicle (below) configured as we like, Ford offers either LT275/70R x 18E BSW A/T 4X4 tires

or for an extra $290, I could get LT275/70R x 18E OWL A/T tires.
what tires should i get?
I would MUCH rather have the tires come from Ford, from the start, and not have to change them out, and sell the stock tires.

By the way - we always use our cell phones for Navigation (Waze or Google Nav) so we have no use for a built in NAV. Any way to somehow NOT get it, to save $?

On our 8 foot bed, with a 9.5 foot Hallmark - the Ford Reverse Sensing System - will it work with 18” overhang of Hallmark, and also the optional Hallmark Storage bins & rear bumper?

* * * * * For what it is worth - this is the type of pickup + options we are looking at: * * *

F-350 - 2020. Custom ordered.
Crew Cab (4 real doors, most space)
6.2L gas
176” Wheelbase (max)
8 foot bed.
4x4
Single Rear Wheel (SRW)

4.3 Electronic Locking Axle (I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo)

FX4 Off Road Package (comes with Skid Plates :­ Transfer Case and Fuel Tank)

Snow Plow / Camper Package.

11,400 GVWR package (or whatever is max GVWR)

Rear Window - privacy glass.

Medium Duty Battery (a second battery)

Alternator ­ Extra Extra Heavy­Duty?
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps?
Front 40/20/40 Split Bench Seats (not front console) so driver can exit passenger side if need be. (this is important to us with our current narrow driveway)

Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cab®) - for our daughter.

Cruise Control?
Power Equipment ­ Power Door Locks and Windows
Steering Wheel ­ Audio Controls?Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel?
48 Gallon Fuel Tank – 176" Wheelbase?Integrated Trailer Brake Controller?Trailer Hitch Receiver – 2.5" Built Ford Tough® Trailer Hitch Receiver (SRW)?
Hill descent would be very nice. A part of tow package I believe.

stuff John REALLY wants:

Adaptive Cruise Control (Lariat I think? Unsure)?
Platform Running Boards (best if Ford does them. Less hassle, and not “modified” $445 2019.)?
SYNC® 3 for Apple Car Play

have been advised to get:
Upfitter Switches $165 in 2019

Thanks!

John

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uhhhh wow....
Yes fog lights are a great option.
E locker works well.
4.30s are not needed for hauling a little camper around at all but are nice for power.
All factory tires kinda suck, don’t pay extra.
The rest ???

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sliding rear window.

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told the order sheet would not be out until closer to July August for the 2020?

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sbryan@vtbryans.com

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't seen an order sheet for the 2020 Fords but in general you will probably be stuck with packages that offer some of what you want and some things you don't. We have a Lariat I custom ordered in 2013 and the packages were less obnoxious then - I got mostly what I wanted and not much I didn't want. The Lariat option was great then, no idea where it will take you on the 2020. You'll want the fogs and LED headlights, the camper and tow packages. The heated and cooled seats are wonderful. The Ford navigation and radio software isn't worth the money but if you want to synch your phones you either buy their stuff or try to find an aftermarket solution that may or may not work. And maybe they will get smart in 2020 and include Apple and Android connections, who knows. Love my F350. Good luck with the purchase - oh, the e-locker works great, factory tires suck and the 3.55 rear end is all you need if you get the diesel. For what you are considering I'd look at the new gas jobs and save the big bucks the diesel costs unless you are going to tow heavy.

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get the new sync, it will include Apple Cap Play...

On my 2019, I can pug my phone into the USB and the contents will show on the screen, including WAZE, and Maps..

As far as options.....
Camper Package, Heavy Service front package, I love B.L.I.S., adaptive cruise is awesome, heated and cooled seats are nice. I enjoy the twin panel moon roof, but for $1,200.00, it's on the if possible list.. Quad Beam LED lights are also real nice..

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I custom build my truck 2 years ago and bought Lariat as King Ranch trim was not available with supercab.
Answers to your questions depends a lot on your truck use.
I never used my fog lights to date, but used a lot of navi with live traffic as well as 360 cameras.
Cellphone traffic works, but not as convenient, not saying that using navi on phone drains battery very fast and makes the phone pretty hot.
I've got power rear window, but it is tiny hole. Ford did not show pictures for this option, but if manual window comes in bigger size - that would be my choice.
Leaving power window open when parking (for dogs) will trigger truck alarm, so the usage is limited.
In 120F weather I LOVED remote start. It works from 1/4 mile and by the time we walk across parking to the truck, the interior was bearable to enter.
Locking differential would be my choice, but not available for duallies, so I settled for LSD. Not the best option as I got stuck with it couple of times.
I've got adjustable pedals, but my wife did not drive the truck yet.
Its been only 2 years, so her time is coming [emoticon]
Camper package on dually would only beefed front sway bar, when camper actually takes weight off front. What are the engineers thinking? [emoticon]
But when you are buying SRW, that might add sway bar to the rear, what is good.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about Ford, but many of “options” are standard even on low trim levels. I believe that you need to do a delete of things like power windows and power door locks.
One of the things I like about our Ram is the remote start, and simply having the key fob in my pocket to lock or unlock the doors.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a 2002 Ford F-350 that is an XLT. The only weak link in Fords now is the electronics. All of those complicated systems don't always hold up over the high mileages those vehicles are capable of. Thye are hard to fix. I have had two "automotive electronic experts" try to fix my electric door locks and some other things without success. More complicated vehicles are not necessarily better.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am pretty sure you can get heated and cooled seats in the Lariat. Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I know in 2019 you could get just about any option in the lariat except massage seats.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.