RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fog lamps are a yes, we like them. Pedals are a yes if your wife has short legs. E locker yes especially if you plan on any off road activity. 4.30 rear axle ratio NO, 4.10 is plenty. We have 3.73 in our Ram 3500 and get by just fine; however, I run in 4th gear on the 2 lane roads and 5th on the interstate to stop all the hunting gears in the hills with the 6 speed Automatic. If I had to order a new one I’d get the 4.10. I’d go with the Laramie for easy to clean interior and likely available dual power seats along with heating and cooling. E start YES, very handy. Go ahead and get the AT tires if you like; however, they may not suit your taste so choose wisely. The Reverse Sensing will go nuts with the camper on the back, on the Ram it’s push a button and it stays off, not sure on the Ford. Yes to the camper package. Take your time and order it the way you want it. Trying to find a truck on the dealer lot with the specs you want with a gas engine is like finding a needle in a haystack. We got lucky and only had to bend on the color, and found used Ram 3500 gasser with the right specs other than color.

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are getting the rear locking diff, then you are doing some seriously crappy roads.

I had a pop-up on a 4X4 Long bed crew cab F350. I never high centered it, but I came awful close. You might want to consider a Super Cab:

Better payload, better turning radius, no high centering.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’re camper will probably block a moon roof, and maybe the satellite radio antenna.

The only difference in the two tires you listed appears to be. BSW vs OWL. That is “black side wall” vs “outside white letter”. Probably not worth the money. Talk with your selling dealer, lots will swap to tires of your choice for a small fee right when it comes in off the truck, then you get exactly what you want.

Do you need a 7 pin plug in in the box? The 5th wheel prep package gets you that. You might be able to check it off separately?

Upfitter switches allow for easy firing. Mine has a 30, 20 and two 15 amp connectors right under the hood that you tie your accessory into. On second thought they might be under the dash, I don’t remember.

If there are fuel tank size options get the biggest available, never enough fuel.

Just a warning, the oil change required indicator on gas super duties only goes by mileage and not engine hours. This was found out the hard way with a truck at work.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you think you need the locking diff and aren’t getting four wheel drive I think you’re making a mistake. Especially if you’re gonna move to where it snows!!
That’s a light camper. You don’t need the low gears.

Edit, I’m blind. Somehow didn’t notice you must be talking about a 4x4 if you’re mentioning skid plates for a transfer case.

* This post was edited 03/17/19 07:25am by burningman *

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as Ford and backup sensors, I am not sure if they sense the in bed trailer connection but mine did not give me any issues and started working fine once I unloaded the camper. Blind spot would alert me that it was not working each time I started moving. I could have disabled it, but didnt mind hitting OK once each startup.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 01:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My info is from 2017 when I ordered my truck, so I may be wrong in some cases

Do I care about Fog Lamps? (does anyone ever use them?)
Yes, I use them mainly so others can see me even better

Do we care about Pedals: ¬ Power Adjustable…?
My wife and I share driving when going camping.
Do the driver memories recall the Power Pedals?
Yes, memory does apply to pedals and mirrors. Adjustable pedals are nice unless you and the wife are the same height.

Do we need to be Lariat to get power seats and power seat memories? I can’t figure this out.
If all you want is power driver’s seat, then you don’t need Lariat. Memory I think is a Lariat requirement, then you get power passenger seat

I didn’t see heated and cooled seats listed anywhere on Lariat specs…. do we need to go higher to get heated and cooled seats? :-(
I have ‘em, I believe part of the Lariat package

Do we want to get the 4.3 Electronic Locking Axle?
I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo…?
E locker is handy, don’t think you need the 4.30…but check the Ford towing guide as it has a section about campers

If we move to the midwest (a possibility) … would we want the remote start option, so we can warm up the F350 before getting in it?
I like them. Nice to get in a pre heated / cooled truck.

How hard is it to wire in external lights, light bars, etc to the Ford optional Outfitter Switches?
Very easy. Wires are in the engine compartment near the brake booster.

with the vehicle (below) configured as we like, Ford offers either LT275/70R x 18E BSW A/T 4X4 tires

or for an extra $290, I could get LT275/70R x 18E OWL A/T tires.
what tires should i get?
I would MUCH rather have the tires come from Ford, from the start, and not have to change them out, and sell the stock tires.
Factory tires are junk, wear them out (happens soon enough) then get something good.

4.3 Electronic Locking Axle (I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo)
See above

FX4 Off Road Package (comes with Skid Plates :¬ Transfer Case and Fuel Tank)
Why? Where are you going to go where you will need skid plates? If you are dragging the bottom of this truck, you have more to worry about than needing skid plates.

Snow Plow / Camper Package.
Yes More capacity is good

11,400 GVWR package (or whatever is max GVWR)

Rear Window - privacy glass.
Yes, helps keep the backseat cool.

Medium Duty Battery (a second battery)
I would.

Alternator ¬ Extra Extra Heavy¬Duty?
Yes
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps?
I didn’t, but that’s up to you..

Front 40/20/40 Split Bench Seats (not front console) so driver can exit passenger side if need be. (this is important to us with our current narrow driveway)
Whatever works for you

Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cab®) - for our daughter.
Nothing wrong with that.

Cruise Control?
Sure

Power Equipment ¬ Power Door Locks and Windows
Not having them will cost you more at resale

Steering Wheel ¬ Audio Controls?Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel? See above

48 Gallon Fuel Tank – 176" Wheelbase?Integrated Trailer Brake Controller?Trailer Hitch Receiver – 2.5" Built Ford Tough® Trailer Hitch Receiver (SRW)?
More fuel the better, get the brake control and all that. Never know what the future holds and it adds to resale.

Hill descent would be very nice. A part of tow package I believe.

stuff John REALLY wants:

Adaptive Cruise Control (Lariat I think? Unsure)?
I don’t have it, but have heard good things from those who do
Platform Running Boards (best if Ford does them. Less hassle, and not “modified” $445 2019.)?
Yes, they fit well and support weight without bending.

SYNC® 3 for Apple Car Play

have been advised to get:
Upfitter Switches $165 in 2019
Yes, do you really want to drill holes in the dash of your brand new truck? You can use them for all sorts of things.

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought it was interesting that several people here touted remote start.

I put the Ravelco anti-theft system on my 2012, and that would render remote start useless.

You can have convenience or you can have REAL security, but you can't have both.

Paranoicaly yours. [emoticon]

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really love adaptive cruise. Especially in city traffic. Heated/Cooled seats and adaptive cruise were my make or break when shopping for a new truck. Remote start is also nice when prepping to go in really cold weather. You can open the doors and load snacks and such with it warming up and not fear someone jumping in and driving off with your rig. LOL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol, adaptive cruise in city traffic.....
For anyone who hasn’t had the Ford E locker, you shouldn’t comment. One of the most useful low buck options out there unless your truck doesn’t leave level pavement.
No shifting to 4wd when you need that extra bit of traction.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone for the great info and thoughts. Super cool. :-)

Some say get 4.1 back end, some say 4.3 back end. No price difference.

any reason to get one over the other?

and...

so I don't see a downside to the E Locker. I read it can be very very very good to have on rough dirt roads, variable pack dirt/sand roads, etc.

I dont see a downside to FX4 package... some roads we go on are occasionally rough. it is cheap to get at time of purchase.

No we wont be going crazy off road....

thanks all

J.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS