RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Would you get it fixed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would you get it fixed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If by fixed tou mean removing all that ****, then yes you should get it fixed.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

DEF has nothing whatever to do with the DPF and the need or frequency of regenerations.

That’s not quite accurate. There is an indirect relationship between DEF usage and DPF regen frequency. The pre-DEF Diesels that had DPF’s used a lot more EGR to cool the combustion temperatures, and control oxides of nitrogen. The downside to cooling the combustion temperatures is............more particulates for the DPF to catch. By using DEF as the primary means to control oxides of nitrogen, less EGR is needed, the combustion temperature can be maintained higher, fewer particulates are produced, and fewer regens are needed.

I owned one of those pre-DEF diesel trucks, and the most it ever went between regens was about 200 miles. Most of the time it was less than that, and sometimes a lot less. Like every 75 miles or so. My current truck’s miles between regens has slowly climbed since new to over 400 miles between regens. In fact it just recently went 500 miles between regens for the first time that I’m aware of, and started to regen even though the soot load was about 85%.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking something was wrong with the truck but today the DPF % full started rising and went from 5% to 30% over about 200 km so I guess the DPF is likely working properly. I don't know about the DEF.... maybe because it was so cold here all winter the DEF started out frozen and by the time it thawed the trip was over.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you start losing fuel economy, power or a trouble code shows up I would just keep driving.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the time the DEF gauges aren't very linear. In 10k miles of driving this year I went through 3 2.5 gallon boxes of DEF with my Duramax (starting full). I notice that I burn more on shorter trips or when towing.

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My super duty has towed almost every mile. I poured in the 3rd 2.5 gal jug of DEF last week at 5,800 miles.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Unless you start losing fuel economy, power or a trouble code shows up I would just keep driving.

This.

Without any diagnostic codes being thrown the mechanics are not going to have a clue what's wrong or how to fix it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

time2roll wrote:

This.

Without any diagnostic codes being thrown the mechanics are not going to have a clue what's wrong or how to fix it.

You're right and I think there is nothing wrong with it. I had my truck parked outside all winter and we had a very cold winter this past year. If the DEF was frozen at the beginning of each trip and if by the time the def tank thawed the the trip was about over it would explain why I didn't use much def. I turned my auto regen off and eventually my DPF % full started to climb. Once it hit 5% it didn't actually take all that long to reach 60% full. At 60% full I turned the auto regen back on and it immediately went into a regen. The regen cycle lasts for quite awhile longer after the % full gauge says 0%. So I think what was happening is that after completely cleaning DPF the 500 mile mandatory regen would take place even though the gauge was still reading 0% full.

defdeletekits

Us

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once these are done, the process is complete. We view this as the only way to really ensure no more issues with the DPF. As a result you will gain more MPG, better torque and drivabilty and of course no more issues with maintenance of the DPF.
Either remove the DPF and replace it with a bypass pipe or cut a hole in it and remove the insides then weld a plate over the hole.

You need to have the computer reprogrammed to avoid error codes and to take advantage of the better flowing exhaust.

Significant improvements in fuel economy and power are usually realised.

Be careful a DPF is an important part of the emission control system and is prohibited from being removed in some areas.
As you may probably know, Diesel engines are a lot more harmful compared to gasoline ones, and that's because of 3 main reasons:
-Nitrogen Oxides (NOx)
-Particulate Matter
-Black Carbon (or black smoke)
As a MOT Tester I can clearly see the difference - cars with DPFs have smoke emissions equal to 0. However, manufacturers are pretty indulgent and allow an opacity for the smoke of approximately 0.5 m-1. Just to make a comparison - Diesel without DPFs are allowed to have between 1.5 and 2.5 m-1 and car which usually fail the MOT emissions test have over 4 m-1 and that's when you see a lot of black smoke.
Diesel engines emit up to 40 times more particulate matter than gasoline ones. By adding a Diesel Particulate Filter, we are basically filtering any sort of particle with the diameter between 2.5 and 10 microns.
Now, some of you will wonder, why are those particles so harmful?
Well, first of all, you inhale them, and they remain stuck in your throat or lungs. The more particles we inhale, the more likely we are to experience lung or throat cancer.
So in order to reduce this, manufacturers came up with DPFs and believe it or not, they're extremely helpful. Smoke is almost zero, particles are filtered, and we have cleaner exhaust gases.
When I disassembled a DPF a few months ago, I was wearing gloves, a safety jacket and a mask and within 15 minutes, my entire skin beneath the safety equipment was completely red and itchy. I had headaches for the rest of the day and I was sneezing a lot.
Imagine having a city like New York or London full of Diesel cars without DPFs. It would be a natural disaster - too much particulate matter in the atmosphere.
Diesel Particulate Filters have been introduced in 2005, and starting with 2010, nearly all the cars equipped with Diesel engines had Particulate Filters.
The DPF gets stuffed with particulate matter from time to time, and they need to be burnt and eliminated. This is called DPF Regeneration and there 3 types of them:
-spontaneous (it happens while you're driving)
-dynamic (the DPF light will appear in the instrument cluster, so you need to drive continuously until it fades away)
-service (manual regeneration through a scan tool)
The best and fastest way to allow the DPF to regenerate while you are driving is to keep the engine at 3000 rpm constantly.
If you don't allow the DPF to perform a regeneration, it will eventually destroy itself, and replacing it will be the only solution.
If you need to replace the DPF, it would cost you over $1,500, so think twice before buying a car equipped with a Diesel engine.
The lifetime of a DPF is around 200,000km. It varies - you could have problems with it within 40,000 km if you only drive downtown for short distances. The DPF doesn't heat up, it doesn't work properly, and it will get damaged pretty quickly.
If you drive only on the highway, you could easily use it for over 350,000km. The average is around 200,000km but it varies depending on the driving style and conditions.
So this is the purpose of a Diesel Particulate Filter - to reduce particulate matter, black smoke, and to make our world cleaner.

dpf delete kit

alexleblanc

Scoudouc N.B

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 03:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind most dealers will refill your DEF tank when you get an oil change, maybe that’s what is happening?

TV - 17 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 15 Durango 296BH + B&W Companion
others - 17 Shelby GT350 | 17 Explorer Sport | 14 Mustang GT | 87 Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 19 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE | 12 John Deere 1023E

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would you get it fixed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS