|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> SRW TC size/weight limit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just guessing but without any big mods I would keep it around 4,000 and under tire limits. I would also recommend a Hellwig BigWig anti sway bar no matter how heavy you go with a camper. Just back off the brackets on one side a couple inches when you don't have the camper on.
You will love the TC for blasting down the highway, fueling wherever you want, eating any place you want, without worrying how you are backing that 5th wheel out of a dead end.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

op wrote:

I understand DRW is the preferred way to do this, but how much camper could I expect to haul well,without wishing I had bought smaller...?

Your 3500 srw GM has a 7050 rawr which includes wheels/tires and rear spring pack. Of course we know the tires capacity but I'm not up on GM wheel or rear spring pack ratings on gm trucks. Exceeding a wheel/tire or rear spring rating full time ain't real smart.
You have the truck so drop by a set of scales and weigh the trucks front and rear axles separately. That way you will know the trucks actual rear axle payload as it may carry all the TC weight.

example; ...Many late model 3500 srw gm owners report a 3200-3400 rear axle weight which leaves approx 3600-3800 lbs for a payload.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Jknight611

Tylertown Ms

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you think the engineers that designed the truck had input from management to get the gross weight as high as possible? In the event of an accident will the attorneys understand that “it drove fine 1,000 lbs over the manufacturers gross weight”, or will they find the driver at fault for overweight vehicle. Maximum gross weight means the maximum weight the truck is certified to carry. As customers we can’t change the gross weight of a vehicle by adding heavy tires or any other “add ons”. The liability for the overweight RV owner is simply too great in a accident, and if the RV is involved a fatal accident..... as RV owners we need to think of our personal liability, will your insurance cover you when found to be over manufacture’s gross weight?

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jknight611 wrote:

Do you think the engineers that designed the truck had input from management to get the gross weight as high as possible?

Definitely not. Many trucks’ GVWR are set to meet legal classifications, not capabilities. 9900, 11400, 14000, etc.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t look at it as a weight perspective since that can vary quite a lot. Instead, I’d look at 8-8 1/2 ft models, or you’ll wish you had gotten smaller for long trips when you are carrying a lot of stuff. DRWs are a completely different set of rules.

Btw, I drove a SRW with my same camper I have now for 8 1/2 years. I just didn’t carry much and only used it for very short trips. Even the movement of the water from front to the black/grey tanks made a difference on the road. The fresh water tank was in the front of the camper.

I only kept the SRW because it was my daily driver and I couldn’t physically fit a DRW in the parking lots where I needed to park without taking multiple spaces. Instead, I added 19.5 tires/wheels for extra capacity just in case. Blowouts aren’t fun, and I was avoiding that by going with tires/wheels rated almost a 1000 lbs more than stock. If you can get by with the DRW, do it instead.

However, the best thing to do is go look at campers and decide on what layouts will work for you. Then, pick the truck.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

kjenckes

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a non slide the Northstar 12 was built for that truck. Great camper. That may be my next one.

1996 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3PSD 445,000 miles!
6/1 springs
3400# tires

2005 Lance 820
Solar, Generator, AC

1997 Ranger 487 Bass Boat
Too much stuff to list

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> SRW TC size/weight limit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.