RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
saguaro

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An acquaintance recently bought a small travel trailer at a dealership 300+ miles away. He is happy with the trailer and happy with the dealership. I've decided I want one too and I know all the desired options. That, said, is there any reason I need to make this overnight trip just to make the deal. Of course I realize I would need to have in hand a copy of the invoice before I sent any payments, but other than that what do I need to watch out for? Would appreciate your insight on both pros and cons. Thanks ahead of time for your wisdom and input. saguaro

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not commit to buy one until I actually saw it, went through it, and documented all the good/bad and have an agreement they will address any bad. If it’s 300 miles away, getting items corrected after the sale will be a true PIA unless you’re willing to do them yourself. Having been through a purchase of a new MH just 90 miles away I can attest getting warranty work performed at a distance is not something I want to do again. Unless there isn’t a dealer closer selling similar units at a competitive price, I say don’t.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive bought three rv,s like this, BUT I send them a e mail saying deal is on my inspection, and 300 mile is a short drive. buying site unseen is a iffy thing.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my current 5th wheel that way. I had already been in a few of the same model on different lots. Called a dealer 250 miles away. Negotiated over the phone. Asked how much deposit was needed. Dealer said none, I have your word.
Two weeks latter went in with my trade and did the deal.
That was 6 years ago. No regrets.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I negotiated the purchase price of my current 5th wheel and the trade in price of my travel trailer via email but both the dealer and I understood that nothing was binding until I signed on the dotted line and I wouldn't think of doing that without seeing the RV and inspecting everything in person. Agree on purchase price but since you have to go to the dealer to get the trailer anyway, don't sign anything until you're satisfied everything is right.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 02:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give yourself an out...subject to approval based on inspection.

Then make sure you are getting enough off the price to justify driving 300miles out and hauling it home...plus any extra hassle getting warranty issues handled.

Did similar with 2 boats (one a couple states away and one in Spain). They were used boats so no warranty issues to deal with. Both purchases went fine.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wrktfsh

Here n there

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sale price would have to be a screaming deal to consider a 300 mi trip for warranty work or pickup

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless that is a truly special camper, so different and better than anything you can get closer, I wouldn’t.
300 miles is too far for me.
Can’t really see an upside.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have considered driving up to Washington to buy an Outdoors RV which are hard to find used. That is about 650 miles. You can qualify the trailer over the phone with a good set of photos. You would have to put a lot of trust in a dealer before buying it sight unseen. I would definitely drive 300 miles to see a trailer that I was really interested in if the price was fair. I would ask questions first like does it have any water damage, has it ever been lived in, does everything work? etc.

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Alabama we call it 'BUYING A PIG IN A POKE'.
Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

I will not buy one without checking out the inside, the Tires and Undercarriage.
I will have a look at the roof too...

Never trust a salesman's honesty.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS