RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to go pick it up anyway. Why not make the deal after you've seen it.

I did the same thing back in 2007. I bought a new 32 foot Puma from a dealer in Iowa. Drive 500 miles to see the unit, made the deal with the dealer and was headed home with the unit behind me by 3:00 pm the same day.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76

73guna

Omaha, Ne.

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought my tt 600+ miles away saving around $3000.
Had some minor warranty work local dealers were unwilling to do.
Keep in mind local dealers are not obligated to do your warranty work if not purchased from them.

2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

#1nobby

Barrie, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to buy a TT that was 2000 miles away. Multiple phone conversations.
However, when I asked for additional pics of certain areas of the trailer he just re-hashed the pics from the online ad.
When I commented on that, he said the shop was a mes and he couldn't get to the trailer.

Well.....if he had no time, I certainly wasn't going 2000 miles.

That was for a new Nash @ $35k.

I ended up buying used locally for $10K.....maybe I owe him a Thank You card?

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 12:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my new camper this past fall over the phone, 90+ miles from home. Negotiated the price, My trade in value and my agreement to purchase pending my PDI and inspection and their inspection of my trailer. I informed them I would come up on Friday (This was a Tuesday) and expect the camper to be plugged in, slides extended, water tank full with a battery pack hooked up so I could test 12 volt items with shore power unplugged.

I did a roof inspection, ran all the sinks, the shower and toilets multiple times, test all appliances, fridge, AC, furnace, etc. Crawled underneath checked for leaks, loose coroplast, any issues.

I found a couple wires dangling that I made them zip tie up securely and a couple of the bedroom doors seemed borderline out of adjustment. Other than that, found no issues.

Signed the paperwork, went to the bank to get a certified check and paid cash for the balance.

The reason I bought there and not a dealership that is 5 miles from my home is they were about 5K cheaper on a camper that had more optional equipment on it than the local one. I got fiberglass sides, electric stabilizers, a roof ladder, 11cf residential fridge on an inverter for $5000.00 less than the local dealer. Since I'm fairly handy and not likely to take it back to the dealership for service unless it's something major, I felt it a good risk/reward decision. Would likely take it to the local dealership if I do have an issue as they have a much larger service department, I have bought 2 previous campers there and my current truck so I'm feeling pretty good about them taking good care of me.

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

frankgibbons1947

Small City, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A class C motorhome is a perfect option for those who want something roomier than the tiny class B but prefer a truck-like driving experience rather than the bus-like setup of class A.

Here is an article that shared good information about small travel trailer that you can check.

https://rvingreviews.com/smallest-rv-with-shower-toilet/

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me a 300 mile trip for the right TT or the right price is nothing especially if you know what you want and are buying new. The down side is after you inspect it and find a number of things to be fixed be prepared to either stay in a hotel several days or return home until the TT is fixed and you have to make the trip again. The other downside is your local dealer my not want to do warranty work if you did not buy it from them. If you can find what you want locally see if your local dealer will match the price.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the TT in my signature from All American Coach in Sylvania Ohio.
It was a very good transaction. There were a couple of things that needed taken care of. A support strut for the bed had popped off it's pin. Fixed immeadiatly.
And a bigger problem with the special order jack I had requested.
It had arrived with a defective light switch, and they couldn't get one locally. They had already ordered a replacement jack, but it wouldn't arrive in time for my return trip back tho Phoenix AZ the next day. So it was agreed that the new jack would be shipped to me with a return label for the defective one.

When hitching up, the jack locked up in the extended position as it was on it's way down.

At this point I had little faith in that brand of jack, and asked if I could swap it for a Atwood, as my last one was still working at 10 years of age. I would pay the price difference (around 60.00) and it would be shipped to me. They put a hand crank jack on it to get me home.
The new jack arrived at my home about 6 hours after I did!

A totally fair solution to a unexpected problem.

So yes I would do it again.
I saved around 10K and had a great experience, and got to see a lot of the country.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am simply amazed and often shocked at just how much effort folks put into finding "the ideal" RV for a special layout or a special deal.

Its a RV folks, basically a SHELTER from weather, a place to lay your head for the night, sometimes a place to cook a meal inside and sometimes a place to get out of the rain, snow, heat, cold..

I would not ever consider driving 100 miles or even 50 miles for a RV, they are a commodity, they are cheaply made for a cheap audience, they are readily available pretty much anywhere you can drive to within 50 miles one way for most folks. Dealerships are everywhere, used ones all over the place also..

Most folks do not keep a RV for long, often suffering from the "super size mentality..

Kind of reminds me of a friend of mine, spent 4 yrs designing the perfect home then finding a builder then having his "dream house" built.. Spent $50K on the ideal 1/2 acre lot in just the right neighborhood and $450K on the house.. 5yrs down the road and ended up in a divorce, lost the house to now ex and kids.. Now lives in a $400 per month shoe box apartment and has another 10 yrs to pay of the mortgage on the ex wifes house..

Find a RV that you can live with that is close at hand and move on.. Folks put way to much effort into a mobile shoe box..

Waunacamper

SC Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a trailer over the phone from a dealer 450 miles away. Got a super deal and they were great to work with. They let us camp in there lot for a night and next morning they fixed everything we ask them to. Sold it 3 years later for same price we paid for it. Nothing wrong with trailer, floorplan just didn't work like we thought. Bought an Outdoors RV over the phone from a dealer in Idaho 1400 miles away. Treated us great, drove out to get it and camped our way home. We did have an issue with the slide on the ORV, called service, they sent parts and I fixed myself. Both deals were great, would do again.

2017 ORV Timber Ridge 27BHS
2015 Ram 2500 (6.4/4.10)

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

saguaro wrote:

Of course I realize I would need to have in hand a copy of the invoice before I sent any payments, but other than that what do I need to watch out for?

Can you elaborate a little on this statement?

Are you planning on financing it?
Paying cash?

If you are financing it at the dealer, you likwly have to be present to sign their bank paperwork.

You can arrange your own financing too and have the daler fax / email over a purchase agreement to the bank, the bank can either mail a check or you can take it to the dealer.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS