RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

I am simply amazed and often shocked at just how much effort folks put into finding "the ideal" RV for a special layout or a special deal.

Its a RV folks, basically a SHELTER from weather, a place to lay your head for the night, sometimes a place to cook a meal inside and sometimes a place to get out of the rain, snow, heat, cold..

I would not ever consider driving 100 miles or even 50 miles for a RV, they are a commodity, they are cheaply made for a cheap audience, they are readily available pretty much anywhere you can drive to within 50 miles one way for most folks. Dealerships are everywhere, used ones all over the place also..

Most folks do not keep a RV for long, often suffering from the "super size mentality..

Kind of reminds me of a friend of mine, spent 4 yrs designing the perfect home then finding a builder then having his "dream house" built.. Spent $50K on the ideal 1/2 acre lot in just the right neighborhood and $450K on the house.. 5yrs down the road and ended up in a divorce, lost the house to now ex and kids.. Now lives in a $400 per month shoe box apartment and has another 10 yrs to pay of the mortgage on the ex wifes house..

Find a RV that you can live with that is close at hand and move on.. Folks put way to much effort into a mobile shoe box..
Well,,,, I spend a LOT of time in my TT. Probably over 2 monthes every year. I looked for about 2 years to find what I wanted for our 3rd TT... And, was not impressed enough with what I was seeing to sell #2, for a new one not much different than what I already had.

Then one night on the web, I found it. My present TT. Setup with two 42 gallon black tanks and two 42 gallon grey tanks. A heated underbelly, with the dump valves heated as well. 3 TVs, and a larger fridge.
This was what I had been looking for.

With this TT I can now boondock in remote locations for longer periods, in style.

I have never been sorry I made the purchase.
And I got a really good deal on it to boot.
Sold my ten year old #2 on the first day for more than half of what I paid for it new...Had two backup buyers for it as well.

That money made a huge dent in the price of the new one.

But hey, as I always say.... It is your money, your choice.

Conversely.. It is my money and my choice.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my current fiver new from a dealer over the internet. I was about 300 miles away. It was the exact model and had the options I wanted. Made the deal over the computer, went and did a PDI, paid for it and took it home. Whole deal was over in 2-3 hours. 100% satisfied and I saved thousands over the local stealers.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Barbwire Blues

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought my new TT though email and text. Leaving Jan 3rd to go full time. The whole transaction was painless. Drove over 600 miles with my trade in and back home the my new one the next day. I didn’t mind the trip because I got exactly what I wanted.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HOLY THREAD resurrection BATMAN.
The original post was: 03/17/19 12:05pm

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

73guna wrote:

Bought my tt 600+ miles away saving around $3000.
Had some minor warranty work local dealers were unwilling to do.
Keep in mind local dealers are not obligated to do your warranty work if not purchased from them.

Somewhat OT, but the reason don't like doing warranty work is that the factory makes it a PITA for the dealer. Any significant repair must be preapproved by the factory, and there is often a wait for parts. The customer wants to go camping, so now they have a guy calling wanting to know what the holdup is. Also, they will get paid what the factory deems sufficient regardless of the time spent... it's not like taking your Ford or Chevy in for warranty work.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankgibbons1947 wrote:

A class C motorhome is a perfect option for those who want something roomier than the tiny class B but prefer a truck-like driving experience rather than the bus-like setup of class A.

Here is an article that shared good information about small travel trailer that you can check.

https://rvingreviews.com/smallest-rv-with-shower-toilet/

^ Not a thread ressurection, just an early to rise spammer named frankgibbons.....if that's even your real name "Jake from State Farm!" Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

73guna wrote:

Bought my tt 600+ miles away saving around $3000.
Had some minor warranty work local dealers were unwilling to do.
Keep in mind local dealers are not obligated to do your warranty work if not purchased from them.

Somewhat OT, but the reason don't like doing warranty work is that the factory makes it a PITA for the dealer. Any significant repair must be preapproved by the factory, and there is often a wait for parts. The customer wants to go camping, so now they have a guy calling wanting to know what the holdup is. Also, they will get paid what the factory deems sufficient regardless of the time spent... it's not like taking your Ford or Chevy in for warranty work.
That wasn't my experience.
When I bought my Sabre (a Forest River Company) in 2010 in Sylvania Ohio. After doing the paperwork, the power jack had a problem. It was a different brand than the Atwood I had on my previous TT, so I asked them if I could upgrade to another Atwood if I paid the difference. They agreed. They did not have what I wanted in stock, so they set me up with a hand crank jack for the trip home, and said they would ship the Atwood to me.
We stopped off to tour the factory, then headed back to Phoenix. at our first nights camp, we were outside looking it over, and noticed a problem with the fridge. I immeadiatly thought we were going to have to return to the selling dealer.. Gave them a call. and they wanted to know our route home, so they could set up the service for us enroute.

IIRC, it was in Springfield IL.
When we arrived, this dealer had an open bay reserved for us. Two techs got right to work, and we were back on the road in 30 minutes!
It really felt like a NASCAR pit stop.
3 days later we made it home, and the Atwood jack arrived 6 hours later.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying travel trailer by phone w/o visiting dealership?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS