RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aother plus with Amazon TV is about 2 movies per month that are in threaters you can watch at home for less than going to the threater..

Soon all movies in threaters will be streamed at home at the same time for about the same price as 2 tickets, also the popcorn at home is a lot cheaper and no tall noisy person sitting in front of you..

Cant do that with satellite..

[emoticon]

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't listen to the noise. Wait, sorry, do as you please. No one posting nonsense here is going to have any effect on those of us who require satellite internet service. I blocked timmac from further PM BS but no one can stop him from posting his rants here. He knows just about nothing about the future of satellite TV. The posters on You Tube know just about as much about the future of satellite TV as timmac.
Satellite TV is NOT going to go by the wayside in the next 2 years. If you believe that every car on the road will be self-driving in the next 2 years then I suspect you will believe timmac that satellite TV will be gone in 2 years.
Sigh!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

timmac wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

As someone that has traveled extensively throughout the country, I can attest access to the internet isn't widely available in many areas, especially in areas where we tend to go camping.

Satellite TV will not stay open for just a few RV'ers and what few live outside internet service in rural areas..

If the trend continues at 250,000 or more dropping off every 3 months how long do you suppose they can keep there doors open..

I travel in many remote areas and have found internet in many areas, internet is growing monthly in areas there was no internet, its only a matter of time till satellite TV throws in the towel and realize the future for them is dead..

https://youtu.be/9b5_Pdmi3R4

You say a few?

"...approximately 19 million Americans—6 percent of the population—still lack access to fixed broadband service at threshold speeds. In rural areas, nearly one-fourth of the population —14.5 million people—lack access to this service. In tribal areas, nearly one-third of the population lacks access."

Eighth Broadband Progress Report

What you don't understand is in those areas internet is coming and its growing monthly while satellite TV is shrinking monthly, do you really think satellite TV will stay open all the way down to less than a million customers, no they wont even go that far, look how the big companies operate, when the money starts to dry up and the future looks bleak they cut and run, just like Kmart, Sears, JC Penny, Toys are Us and many hundreds more..

The CEO's and major stock holders get out before it bankrupts and they take large bonuses while walking out the door..

Don't be fooled by those numbers..

[emoticon]

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TV was gonna kill theatres. VHS & Betamx was gonna kill theatres. now streaming is not only gonna kill satellites but theatres as well. i'm not holding my breath but if it does then we'll adjust.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

You can record streaming just the same, have you ever streamed TV, you can watch what you want at anytime you want and most of it is commercial free and many of the channels are free.

please elaborate - how to I "record" a live stream, without using an antique like a vcr ... I have AT&T's cheapest streaming tier, and most of it is only stream live, not on-demand.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

TV was gonna kill theatres. VHS & Betamx was gonna kill theatres. now streaming is not only gonna kill satellites but theatres as well. i'm not holding my breath but if it does then we'll adjust.

I did not say streaming will kill theaters but it will make a major dent in there profit, people will still want to go out to the theaters, here in Las Vegas and many other areas to keep the customers going out to the movies they replaced the seating with electric recliners and now serve beer, cause they know if they don't change and fancy it up people will stop going.

Yes I still go out to the movies every now and than but far less than I use to..

[emoticon]

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

timmac wrote:

You can record streaming just the same, have you ever streamed TV, you can watch what you want at anytime you want and most of it is commercial free and many of the channels are free.

please elaborate - how to I "record" a live stream, without using an antique like a vcr ... I have AT&T's cheapest streaming tier, and most of it is only stream live, not on-demand.

I have never tried to copy any streaming cause I don't really need to, but as I understand the Roku box has a SD card on the box and there you can download a movie onto it and Amazon lets you save or buy movies and keep it in your movie inbox to go see anytime..

But like I said I don't do that but have been told it can be done..

Also once anything is uploaded to the internet it is always there to go see unless its removed, on YouTube the very 1st upload many years ago is still there to watch, no need to copy when its always there to watch at anytime..

Cant do that with satellite TV..

wrktfsh

Here n there

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We cut the cord last summer, cancelled cable at the home base and satellite at the cabin in n mn.
It’s been painless and much cheaper. I missed a couple channels for a week or two. We stream most everything but use OTA tv when streaming isn’t possible

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

...I did not say streaming will kill theaters but it will make a major dent in there profit...Yes I still go out to the movies every now and than but far less than I use to..

[emoticon]

us, too but for us it has more to do with crappy fare coming out of hollywood than expensive popcorn or tall people. we usually go to geezer matinees for movies at the end of their run. popcorn is still the same but theatres are mostly empty.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wrktfsh wrote:

We cut the cord last summer, cancelled cable at the home base and satellite at the cabin in n mn.
It’s been painless and much cheaper. I missed a couple channels for a week or two. We stream most everything but use OTA tv when streaming isn’t possible

Yep as the cost of living keeps going up and peoples eyes are opened up about streaming and its lower to nothing cost the cord cutting will continue, when I saw my dad in Denver 2 years ago he complained about his cable TV was over a $1000 a year and he only watched a couple of channels, since he had internet at his house I said you have thousands of free channels right now, he was baffled and did not understand, so I went to Walmart and bought him a Roku box and a digital antenna and hooked him up and he was shocked, he is 85 years old and he also cut his cord..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.