|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Night stops with RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

my goodness!! And I am once again out of popcorn!

You didn't get the free refills?

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do it all. If we are driving until late night, we simply overnight at a rest stop or truckstop. If we stop at noon, which we never do while going cross country, then we stop at campground.

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I dislike about many campgrounds is standing there while management " splains " all the rules and regs to me and all I want to do is take off my shoes and get a nap . I ain't even got a dog !

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Change your thinking. The West is full of open space and public land. City and county parks are okay for an overnight. But your best bet is USFS and BLM land. You do not have to be in a campground especially with a TC. Take the scenic roads. Carry maps that show land owership. You can take the dirt roads and find a spot in any western state.

I would not sleep in a Wal-Mart parking lot if you paid me.

* This post was edited 04/21/19 08:36am by ppine *

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nevada has some wide, wide open spaces and it is relatively easy to find places to pull off the road and spend the night. Sadly for most of the country including most of the West, that is becoming more and more difficult. Even many long standing dispersed camping areas are being closed. There are just too many people and many seem inconsiderate with illegal dumping and with leaving trash and garbage in the area.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't read the whole thread so someone might have mentioned this already, but one thing that might impact where you stay is how hot is it at night. Don't know when you're traveling but if in the south and east during hot humid weather, we like to stop somewhere where we either hookup to electric or run the generator so we can have A/C. Some places mentioned may have a problem with running a generator at night.

DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some trips I’m short on time as worked during the day, family gathering next day noon. Almost never stop at a campground but use church parking lots, Cabelas, Walmart, etc. Some trips are leisurely so I drive a few hours then find a campground for a night. Sometimes the campground is a base to visit sites in the area then move to another area. Sometimes the campground is the destination.

I have my 5th wheel so it fits my need for whatever need/want I have. Hotels I don’t believe would fit the wants/needs I have. I spend enough nights in hotels for work that fill another need. Why vacation much like work?

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Nevada has some wide, wide open spaces and it is relatively easy to find places to pull off the road and spend the night. Sadly for most of the country including most of the West, that is becoming more and more difficult. Even many long standing dispersed camping areas are being closed. There are just too many people and many seem inconsiderate with illegal dumping and with leaving trash and garbage in the area.

I don't know where you are getting this idea that camping on public land is getting more difficult. If you think there are too many people you have not been to rural Nevada or most of the other western states.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 01:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

I don't know where you are getting this idea that camping on public land is getting more difficult. If you think there are too many people you have not been to rural Nevada or most of the other western states.

Western state - CA.

OK - I'm traveling from San Diego through Los Angeles to Santa Barbara.
Where are those "public lands"....[emoticon]

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/19 02:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

ppine wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Western state - CA.

OK - I'm traveling from San Diego through Los Angeles to Santa Barbara.
Where are those "public lands"....[emoticon]

[emoticon] [emoticon]

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Night stops with RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS