|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Night stops with RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

ppine wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Nevada has some wide, wide open spaces and it is relatively easy to find places to pull off the road and spend the night. Sadly for most of the country including most of the West, that is becoming more and more difficult. Even many long standing dispersed camping areas are being closed. There are just too many people and many seem inconsiderate with illegal dumping and with leaving trash and garbage in the area.

I don't know where you are getting this idea that camping on public land is getting more difficult. If you think there are too many people you have not been to rural Nevada or most of the other western states.

Western state - CA.

OK - I'm traveling from San Diego through Los Angeles to Santa Barbara.
Where are those "public lands"....[emoticon]

Salton Sea. It's just a small detour.

[image]

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

If you have an issue with no grass, you've not likely stayed in too many parks in the southwest. I've stayed in lots of parks with little to no grass.

You won't see much grass in campgrounds in Alaska either. Grass is kind of hard to maintain. The season is short, the campgrounds crowded. Land is expensive and hard to maintain all year. There are the exceptions however.

As far as hookups are concerned, outdoor plumbing for water and sewage is frozen until late May or early June in some areas. Ther are public dump stations in most towns if you can find them that will open late spring.

Having hosted at campgrounds, I heard complaints about the conditions from out of state campers quite often. However when I visited some of those states, public campgrounds (parks, etc) were just as primitive - and actually cost a lot more. We could often just look at the licence plate and figure who the complainers would be.

2017 Coachmen Galleria

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Done Cracker Barrels in St.George Utah and Little Rock Arkansas on the same trip. Also a few Walmarts mainly in Arizona over the years.

I will never overnight in a truck stop or rest area. Way too noisy and busy for me.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why go all the way to beautiful CO and WY to camp in parking lots, rest stops and WalMarts?
You have to adjust your thinking to understand how to utillize public land. All you have to do most places is pull off the highway and find a quiet spot. Be on the look out for private land which is mostlly posted.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Why go all the way to beautiful CO and WY to camp in parking lots, rest stops and WalMarts?"

I believe most everyone is discussing overnight stops, not "camping".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

Salton Sea. It's just a small detour.

I tried that once.....never again. The place is seriously depressing with a heavy stench of dead, rotting fish.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the megalopolis of southern California, your best bet are the National Forests or head for the desert.

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Why go all the way to beautiful CO and WY to camp in parking lots, rest stops and WalMarts?
You have to adjust your thinking to understand how to utillize public land. All you have to do most places is pull off the highway and find a quiet spot. Be on the look out for private land which is mostlly posted.

Our intention when making our cross country trip this year (AK to NY and back) was to use public lands to camp along the way as were towing a trailer full of things for our son.. We got a later start than we intended and had to make up some time.. We were fortunate to find places to stop in Walmart lots, roadside rests, and truck stops. Usually we only stopped till daylight and were on the road again at dawn. Campgrouds were a luxury in which we indulged only twice and stayed for 2 days each - mostly for DH to decompress and to do laundry, etc.

Next summer we do want to do the public lands thing. Just to enjoy the land of country and hopefully Canada. This requires planning on our part. We will be looking for resources of information to access these lands.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

We don't have a schedule and we don't make reservations. When we want to stop driving we almost always use a campground. They are everywhere so you don't have to look very far. We just stopped at a state park in SC and it is so nice here we decided to stay a few day.

I agree, we almost never make reservations and almost always stay in a campground! Stayed in a Flying J twice in an emergency but have been RVing for 50 years and we prefer campgrounds!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kaydeejay wrote:

Most Cracker Barrels have overnight RV spaces. I suspect they hope you will then go inside for breakfast!

We stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Kantuckee. Lot was full of cars and lots of people in rocking chairs awaiting their turn. Wife went in and got a menu.
We found the phone number called and asked them to deliver to our coach.
They did! Gave the waiter that brought it a good tip.
We did not spend the night however.
We did spend the night at one east of Memphis in our Fifth wheel years ago. People blocked us in even though we were in the rv lanes.
Had to get the Mgr in am to have them moved.

* This post was edited 10/28/19 12:13pm by down home *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Night stops with RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS