RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: We finally bought our first Travel Trailer!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> We finally bought our first Travel Trailer!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think most of the essential basics have been covered: the sewer and water hoses, #2 Robertson screwdriver, duck tape (though I would strongly recommend Gorilla tape instead; it's superior in every respect). Maybe also some power adapter dogbones as appropriate for your shore power cord: if you have a 30A trailer, 15A to 30A and most would say also a 50A to 30A. Toilet paper is likewise pretty nearly essential (though you don't need to spring for "RV toilet paper"; ordinary paper is just fine).

Your first camping "trip" should be, if possible, about ten feet from your house. Your goal is to make sure you understand how things work, make sure they do indeed work, and find out what household necessities you require but do not have. Some of those vary from person to person.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been fine with just one sewer hose of 8-10 feet (I guess 10ft if fully stretched), but that is mostly for dump stations - we rarely camp at full hookups.

What I do highly recommend is two 15ft freshwater hoses and two 25ft grey water hoses.

Electric cords - our TT came with a 30ft 30amp cord, I picked up a 25ft 30amp cord, and we are set. I've only had to use the 25ft a few times, but it sure was nice having it. As mentioned previously get the adapter plugs for the cords.

I bought one of those economy "tool kits" that come in a plastic folding case from Walmart. Has hammer, screwdriver, wrenches, pliers, wire stripper, some wire connectors and fuses, etc. Low quality, but it has worked fine for me.

Try to make your first few camping trips to be near Walmart or other big store so you can run out to get what you need. Either way, make a list of things you need/want as you camp.

And yes, a few years down the road you will be pulling out of the camper all the stuff you swore you would need....

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, and get level indicators to put on your camper. Set it up in your driveway, and level your Stovetop (if the stovetop is level it is much nicer to cook on, an your frig will be level), then secure the level indicators to the corner of the camper or to the hitch frame.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Furniture for outside, tools, shovel, wire, duct tape, axe, rope.
RV camnpground directory, charts.
Dutch oven, good woman and some dogs.

BeerBrewer

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where do you folks store your sewer hoses and fittings? I've read a lot of folks use the bumper, but I'm not sure that I want to do that. Some say that it causes the bumper to rust from the inside and the fittings like elbows don't always fit inside either so they put them in a tote and store it in the storage bin. I've also seen some DIY and after market hose and fitting storage solutions. Do these work well and if so you folks have a favorite? I'm not crazy about the idea of putting the sewer hoses and fittings in a tote and storing them inside the storage bin with my lawn chairs and such. The odds are that my wife, also a Public Health Nurse would veto any such plans anyway, so need a good solution.

The Rino hose kits (Extreme $46 and Flex $41 on Amazon) seem very popular. Is the extreme really any better? I do like that it's crush-able. Does anyone use it?

As for modifications, I'm very handy. I can mig weld, do electrical, plumbing and carpentry. I don't plan on doing any mods until we've camped awhile and we know the trailer better. All that said I am planning to install a hard wired surge protector and maybe some sort of sewer hose/fittings storage solution.

I can't wait to tel my wife that our first camping trip might be in the back yard! Another funny but really good idea!

Wow, a lot of really great suggestions! I started a must have list.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the bumper. I've seen some people put an add on PVC unit to the bumper and store it in there.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I strapped a 5x5 vinyl fence post on top of my bumper. Used hinged cover at one end and glued on cover at other with holes drilled into the covers for drainage for my sewer hose. Every hose I've seen fits into it. No rust and not abrasive to hose when you slide it in.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can find sewer hose carriers on Amazon or ETrailer

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take DrewE's last message to heart. Spend a day in your drive way or otherwise as close to home. You will quickly discover what you should have loaded.

Then find places to enjoy.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/19 03:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm likely the wrong guy to ask because I prepare for everything like a boy scout. Here is what I have as a emergency kit.

2 lb sledge and a regular Hammer, 3-4 misc Screwdrivers, large and small adjustable wrench, wire cutters and strippers, pliers, gorilla tape, WD-40, Dry Lube for scissor jacks, hinges, key locks, assortment of spare 12v fuses for the fuse box, couple small rolls of small gauge 12v wire and some misc connectors, Assortment of batteries, Cable ties, Roll of eternabond tape incase of a roof puncture, cordless drill and a socket set and some misc lengths or different types of rope/cordage.

That's the basics and I'm probably forgetting to tell you about another 5-10 things.

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> We finally bought our first Travel Trailer!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS