|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stocking/Furnishing a New Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DaDubs

Regina, Sk, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a big trailer that we have put on a permanent camp site and haven't moved it for several years. The last couple years, I have missed moving around, so I have been taking the family tenting again in between visits to our trailer. In hopes of cutting down set up and break down times, I decided to purchase a small a-frame trailer to bounce around this year. I have one fully furnished trailer that we have been adding stuff to for many years, but now I have to start again.

My Big question is: If you had to start compiling stuff all over again what are your favourites? Keep in mind that I need to be as light as possible and don't have much storage in the A-frame.

1. Bedding? Would you get a cheap comforter? Or a nicer puffy blanket, like a Rumpl?

2. Best Chairs?

3. Dishes? Corelle or cheap plastic?

4. RV mat?

5. Best cooler? The fridge is really small in this thing.

6 Anything Else?

2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2012 Keystone Passport 2910BH
Chris, Kyla, Brooke(daughter, 20), Griffin(son, 7), Maddie (daughter, 5),Boozer(14 yr old Shih-Tzu)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. bedding - I have a cheap plush blanket and a cuddl duds comforter. It is enough for me for most weather. If it gets down to the 30s, I have a thick and heavy faux fur throw from Costco that I put on top. A lot depends on how you and your family handle cold and your taste in bedding. But don't go cheap just to save money - get what will work best.

2. chairs - personal preference. Go try some out. Some folks love anti gravity chairs, I hate them. Some like more straight back like a director's style, others prefer the quad chairs. And have each family member try them out.

3. dishes - get what you like and you are willing to pay the cost. I have corelle because I liked the patterns better than the melanine or plastic. You could also simply go with paper plates.

4. RV Mat - I'd wait on this and see if it's something you'd use.

5. cooler - do you want to freeze items or just keep them cold? How long will your trips be? Will you be able to refill ice during your trips?

6. I'd do a few short trips using stuff you have at home. Then you can see what will work best for you.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a local thrift shop, Goodwill or even a yard sale and purchase dishes, pots and pans and stuff for the kitchen and bathroom. You might even be able to find sheets and blankets that are still in good shape. Chairs are personal, so I would find some that I really like and just suck up the cost of those. You can get an RV mat at Walmart and it is as good as anything you can get at CW. We don't even take a cooler since we only used it for drinks and now we have an outdoor kitchen, so the cooler is out. If you plan to carry your food in that, don't skimp on cost and get a really good one. We use the Dollar Tree and Dollar General for lots of our camping equipment.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DaDubs wrote:

1. Bedding? Would you get a cheap comforter? Or a nicer puffy blanket, like a Rumpl?

2. Best Chairs?

4. RV mat?

6 Anything Else?

Dishes - cheap plastic. anything alse may not survive the "bouncing around"

Best Cooler - depend on how much you want to spend. Yeti or similar keeps stuff cold the longest but the price will break the bank.

RV Mat - I hate them because they get covered with dirt and are a nuisance to store, because they are full of dirt

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

MKirkland

Washington state

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bbq is important to us. Also, size and amount of everything will help with room and weight. We were taking large camp chairs and packed way to many can foods.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i would keep a list and continually go through removing things you thought you'd need but you never use.

tdiller

usa

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DaDubs wrote:

We have a big trailer that we have put on a permanent camp site and haven't moved it for several years. The last couple years, I have missed moving around, so I have been taking the family tenting again in between visits to our trailer. In hopes of cutting down set up and break down times, I decided to purchase a small a-frame trailer to bounce around this year. I have one fully furnished trailer that we have been adding stuff to for many years, but now I have to start again.

My Big question is: If you had to start compiling stuff all over again what are your favourites? Keep in mind that I need to be as light as possible and don't have much storage in the A-frame.

2. Best Chairs?

4. RV mat?

6 Anything Else?

Dishes: don't know if you have a microwave but we almost bought a set of corelle dishes until we noticed that they are not microwave safe. Everything else we bought new since we donated our popup to our son when we moved to a trailer.

Update. I was wrong it is the melamine dishes that are not microwave safe. We were looking at both when we bought dishes and I mixed the two up. Corelle is microwave safe.

* This post was edited 03/27/19 08:15am by tdiller *

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tdiller ~~ mine are ~~ that's why I bought them over 30 years ago. Something must have changed.

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per the corelle website:

Corelle® plates and bowls are made of Vitrelle® glass. Mugs are made of porcelain or stoneware as noted on the package. Please review information on bottom of items prior to use.

Corelle® products can be used for serving and re-heating food in microwaves or pre-heated conventional ovens up to 350° F (176° C). To warm empty dinnerware for serving, use pre-heated conventional ovens only. Porcelain and stoneware mugs are microwavable.

ALL GLASS, PORCELAIN AND STONEWARE CAN BE BROKEN and care should be taken in handling. A drop or knock against a hard object may cause immediate breakage or enough damage so that the item breaks later for no apparent reason. Such breakage may make a noise and can break into many small pieces. Be careful in handling as pieces may be sharp.

Wash Corelle® dinnerware items by hand or in an automatic dishwasher. Load items to avoid bumping against other items during cycle. To remove gray or rust marks, clean with non-abrasive cleanser. If scouring is necessary, use only plastic or nylon cleaning pads with non-abrasive cleansers. DO NOT allow stoneware or porcelain mugs to soak/stand in water for an extended period of time. Applied heat after soaking may cause glaze cracking.

Warnings
Failure to follow the warnings below may cause an item to break or shatter immediately or late, resulting in personal injury or property damage. Corelle® glass dinnerware is intended for normal household use only. It is not intended for camping, industrial, or commercial use.

DO NOT USE ON STOVETOP, under a broiler/griller, under a microwave browning element, in a toaster oven, or on or near any other direct heating source such as range heat vents, pilot lights, open flames, etc.

AVOID SUDDEN TEMPERATURE CHANGES. DO NOT add liquid to a hot item, place a hot item on a wet surface, or handle with a wet or cold cloth. These sudden temperature changes may cause the item to break or shatter. Handle hot items with a dry cloth or potholder.

DO NOT use to microwave popcorn or to hold or support popcorn bags, microwave convenience foods with special browning wrappers, etc. Some convenience food packaging is designed to heat rapidly in a microwave oven and may cause breakage.
DO NOT heat an empty vessel in a microwave oven. It may become too hot to handle, crack or break.
DO NOT heat a small amount of food in larger dish in a microwave oven. It may become too hot to handle, crack or break.
DO NOT overheat oil or butter in microwave. Use minimum amount of cooking time.
DO NOT use or repair any item that is chipped, cracked, or severely scratched. Damaged items may break or shatter without warning.
DO NOT abuse by dropping or hitting against a hard object.
DO NOT use abrasive cleanser, scouring pads, or any object that will scratch items.
Place stoneware items on dry placemat or tablecloth to avoid scratching surfaces. The bottom of stoneware items may be rough.

ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've used Corelle for years, and have never had one break. We don't even cushions them when traveling. Just stack them in the cupbard and go. The various pieces nest together compactly making them ideal for storing. If you intend to use a microwave, melamine is a poor choice because it CANNOT be used in amicrowave.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stocking/Furnishing a New Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.