|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tire pressure / dually / TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GeoBoy

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ram is correct.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've run what my door sticker said for 9 years and 55k miles.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

Let me be more specific....I run my dually at 80 psi with no TPMS. My moms ram has the TPMS.....with that said the sticker is rear @ 65 and fronts @55 but her tires are branded @ 80 psi max. I filled the tires in the rear to max psi and the TPMS sounded the alarm...took a minute to figure that out. A simple mistake...that is the information I'm trying to get out there.

Moms rig, Specifically, a dually? If so that doesn't make sense. I've run plenty of newer 2500/3500 trucks at 80 psi cold. Pressure will get close to 90 under the right conditions.
Even a 2500, the min psi is like 65 and the tire alarm goes off for low pressure.
Not normal. Something wrong with the truck.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/19 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can say is this thread, not unlike others is full of lack of or mis information.
TPMS are only re programmable with aftermarket software. Used to be with OE diagnostic software but not anymore.
1 tons don't have tpms. They have TPIS.
No HD trucks should, throw a high pressure alarm especially below 80 psi. I'm not certain they can at all. But never had one over 88-90 psi. But have 1/2 tons at 60-70psi that don't throw a high pressure alarm.
And "I just run what's on the sticker." Is like saying "I don't question what that Doctor is telling me. I do t understand it but he must be right because he's a doctor!"

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/19 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

All I can say is this thread, not unlike others is full of lack of or mis information.
TPMS are only re programmable with aftermarket software. Used to be with OE diagnostic software but not anymore.
1 tons don't have tpms. They have TPIS.
No HD trucks should, throw a high pressure alarm especially below 80 psi. I'm not certain they can at all. But never had one over 88-90 psi. But have 1/2 tons at 60-70psi that don't throw a high pressure alarm.
And "I just run what's on the sticker." Is like saying "I don't question what that Doctor is telling me. I do t understand it but he must be right because he's a doctor!"

Can you explain TPIS? I have understood that to mean an inflation system. My one ton truck only monitors tire pressures.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have seen one inflation chart for a particular size tire in Load Range E, you've seen them all. I've compared the inflation charts for several brands and they all have very similar, if not the same numbers on them.

So even if your tire's manufacturer doesn't publish one, you can usually find one from another manufacturer.

Of course if you can't weigh your truck conveniently, the tire inflation chart does you no good. It's also tedious to be constantly airing up and down every time your load changes.

There is nothing wrong with or misinformed about airing up to the pressure on the door sticker, so long as your tires are the same size and load rating as is shown on the door sticker. That gives you maximum capacity for the truck. You won't get a perfectly even wear pattern if you're not loaded to maximum, but you won't be underinflated for any load you happen to put in the truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Don't know what you are driving, but here is copy from my 2017 Ford manual.
I know, I know ... reading manuals is not popular thing.
owners manual wrote:

Performing the System Reset Procedure - Single Rear Wheel
Read the entire procedure before attempting.
Drive the vehicle above 20 mph (32 km/h) for at least two minutes, then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.
Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.
Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times. You must accomplish this within 10 seconds. If you successfully enter the reset mode, the horn sounds once, the system indicator flashes and a message shows in the information display. If this does not occur, please try again starting at step 2. If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the system indicator does not flash and no message shows in the information display, seek service from your authorized dealer.
Train the tire pressure monitoring system sensors in the tires using the following system reset sequence starting with the left front tire in the following clockwise order: Left front - driver side front tire, Right front - passenger side front tire, Right rear - passenger side rear tire, Left rear - driver side rear tire.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Note: The single horn tone confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by the module for this position. If a double horn is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful, and you must repeat it.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds. Training is complete after the horn sounds for the last tire trained, driver side rear tire, the system indicator stops flashing, and a message shows in the information display.
Turn the ignition off. If two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and you must repeat it. If after repeating the procedure and two short beeps are heard when the ignition is turned to off, seek assistance from your authorized dealer.
Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure as indicated on the Safety Compliance Certification Label, affixed to either the door hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that meets the door-latch post, next to the driver seating position or Tire Label located on the B-Pillar or the edge of the driver door.
Performing the System Reset Procedure - Dual Rear Wheel
For further information see Understanding Your Tire Pressure Monitoring System and refer to Dual Rear Wheel, earlier in this section.
Read the entire procedure before attempting.
Drive the vehicle above 20 mph (32 km/h) for at least two minutes, then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all six tires and have access to an air pump.
Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.
Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times. You must accomplish this within 10 seconds. If you successfully enter the reset mode, the horn sounds once, the system indicator flashes and a message shows in the information display. If this does not occur, please try again starting at step 2. If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the system indicator does not flash and no message shows in the information display, seek service from your authorized dealer.
Train the tire pressure monitoring system sensors in the tires using the following system reset sequence starting with the left front tire in the following order: Left front - driver side front tire, Right front - passenger side front tire, Right outer rear -passenger side rear outer tire, Right inner rear - passenger side rear inner tire, Left outer rear - driver side rear outer tire, Left inner rear - driver side rear inner tire.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Note: The single horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been learned by the module for this position. If a double horn is heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful, and you must repeat it.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right front tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right outer rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the right inner rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left outer rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds.
Remove the valve cap from the valve stem on the left inner rear tire. Decrease the air pressure until the horn sounds. Training is complete after the horn sounds for the last tire trained, the system indicator stops flashing, and a message is shown in the information display.
Turn the ignition off. If two short horn beeps are heard, the reset procedure was unsuccessful and you must repeat it. If after repeating the procedure and two short beeps are heard when the ignition is turned to off, seek assistance from your authorized dealer.
Set all six tires to the recommended air pressure as indicated on the Safety Compliance Certification Label, affixed to either the door hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that meets the door-latch post, next to the driver seating position or Tire Label located on the B-Pillar or the edge of the driver door.

* This post was edited 03/27/19 09:17am by Kayteg1 *

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Can you explain TPIS? I have understood that to mean an inflation system. My one ton truck only monitors tire pressures.

I think Gritdog is suggesting it’s information system. In other words, displays the pressure but with no warnings.

Inflation system

https://www.teamrunsmart.com/articles/tr........ce/february-2019/tpms-vs-tpis?feed=blogs

Information system

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-........is-tire-pressure-information-system.html

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Kayteg, that’s re- setting or re-learning. Not adjusting the thresholds. Reading the manual is only half the battle.

On edit you may have meant adding air to tires not adding “20psi” to the sensor threshold (which 1 tons don’t have threshold anyway).
Either way, every tpms or tpis system I’ve been around, including a handful of fords too show pressure chenges in real time or nearly real-time and no re learn process is needed under normal operations. Newer vehicles like yours don’t even need re learn when fire position is rotated.
Keller May likely have something wrong with the system that a reset or re learn may fix but probably not the case if it’s already reading the right tires. Worth a shot though, you’re correct.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worktomuch Jim H explained it accurately there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tire pressure / dually / TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS