|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> The right WD hitch for a 3500 pound 22 foot trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

discovery4us wrote:

3500 lb. trailer you just need a draw bar and ball rated to handle 5000 lbs. and call it good.

x2 - Do some towing without one, and then decide. Watch some videos on proper trailer loading - hint, keep the heavy stuff up front, ahead of the trailer axles.

Agree, you might not even need one with your over-truck vs your trailer weight.

I did weight management on mine and I also did not need one. But when I put it, it's night-and-day in better handling.

And yeah, I started to load some more accessories with confidence, generator... etc.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no way that little trailer behind an F-150 needs a WDH. It shouldn't need sway control either if it's loaded and hitched properly. Save your money for now and tow it a while without and see how it does.
The truck will probably ride better with the weight on the hitch.

bdanwallin

Lebanon Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CincyGus wrote:

bdanwallin wrote:

Hi,

We are looking at buying a 3500 pound TT that is 22.5 feet long with a single axle. The dealer tried to push an 800 dollar 10000 pound WD hitch with sway control. I felt this was on the high side and am looking for recommendations for a reasonable WD hitch with sway control. I believe the dealer offers different options and I just don't want to pay for stuff I don't need. Any recommendations are appreciated and reasonable costs for a suitable WD hitch.

I am towing with a 2017 F150 V8 with front sway bar.

Hello Neighbor!

Just want to throw a thought out for you to check/consider.
You say it's a 3500 lb TT on a single axle. What is the axle rated at and what is the GVWR on the trailer. Make sure you are using the MAX the trailer can WEIGH and CARRY when determining what hitch you need.
If the trailer weighs 3500 and your GVWR is 5500, THAT is the number you need to match the hitch to.

Also make sure your trucks carrying capacity (Not towing capacity) listed on a sticker on your door jam is not exceeded. 10-15% of your trailers final weight plus whatever you carrying in the truck (People, Cargo in the truck and truck bed, weight of the hitch) is your Carrying capacity.

Lastly, make sure your single AXLE is rated for that higher GVWR amount.

I would also want sway control. I just traded a 25', duel axle, under 4000 lb. TT that weighed 5500 lbs when fully loaded for camping. I towed it with a 1500 Chevy and I needed W/D and sway control. It was a decent tow but there were times it was a hand full if it was real windy or I was on flatlands with semi's passing us.

The biggest trailer we are looking at has around 4700 GVWR. That puts about 700 pounds on the hitch at 15%. My truck has a GVWR of 7000 pounds. The trucks towing capacity is 9000.

I definitely want the WD hitch and feel I will come in under the vehicle specs no problem. Thanks for the rundown, now I just need to pick a hitch... and a trailer! We really like the smaller bunk house models like the one here:
http://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/193BHS/1596

bdanwallin

Lebanon Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input, We appreciate all of the help!

bdanwallin

Lebanon Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

The Fastway E2, from Progress Manufacturing Inc
Check RVW for great prices.

Whats RVW?

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVW is RV Wholesalers, a rv dealer located in mid Ohio not too far North of you that usually has good prices.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't need a wdh for that little trailer.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 17 ft Viking with loaded weight of 3500 pounds with a 2011 F150 supercrew, Ecoboost. Last summer I towed over 7000 miles throughout the eastern US without a WDH. I never felt that I needed one. I talked to a tech at etrailer and he talked me out of buying one because I didn't need it. I now agree. We towed during some pretty windy days with heavy truck traffic and never had a problem.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fastway E2 with 600 or 800 pound bars. As far as those saying you don't need it, I returned 2" to the front wheels on my rather large half ton so I'd say it's worth it. Plus it essentially eliminates sway. I'll pull the scouts 14' 2500 pound utility trailer without a sway bar but not my trailer (I initially just had a drop shank and even with a rented 2500 it would sway too much for comfort)

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

I just bought a Husky spring bar outfit for my 6,500 pound Rockwood. It is working great and cost $180 on Amazon with free ship.

I have towed a 2750 pound hybrid trailer with no HD hitch and just a sway bar.

It would be good to have one for a light 3500 pound trailer. Just buy a lighter one with a hitch weight within 250 pounds or so of your TW. Otherwise you will have a very harsh ride with a light trailer.

That should be all you need and was probably what the dealer was pushing for $800. This hitch is a take off on the old E-Z Lift design which many have copied over the years. I towed with that style hitch for many years with our old 25 ft trailer.

The Anderson would be a good choice too for that size trailer.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> The right WD hitch for a 3500 pound 22 foot trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS