|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Oregon, washington, Idaho then back to CA ideas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
Looking for suggestions on what to do in Oegon, on our way to Olympic national Park. Like to see Mount Rainer also, then head north thru Canada to. Idaho or direct to the Sand Point area?

We prefer camping in national park, forest cwmpgrounds, boondocking. We will take a class c and Jeep, street legal KTM motorcycle.
Any rides I should see is helpful too, street and dirt!

Thanks,

Chuck

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbigham wrote:

Hi,
Looking for suggestions on what to do in Oegon, on our way to Olympic national Park. Like to see Mount Rainer also, then head north thru Canada to. Idaho or direct to the Sand Point area?

We prefer camping in national park, forest cwmpgrounds, boondocking. We will take a class c and Jeep, street legal KTM motorcycle.

Thanks,

Chuck

I could have let you borrow my trip plan, lol.

What I got from the natives is to hug the coastline.

I have travelled the whole length of H-1 CA and continuing the next chapter to 101 with final destination at Olympic.

Like you I will be taking national, state, country and city parks, when available, for my campsites.

There was a similar thread on this where I was the OP if you care to learn from the answers as I did.

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Oregon coast is awesome, and is littered with wonderful State Parks. Just start looking for reservations now as they fill up for the summer. Some of the must sees are the lighthouses which also dot the coast, Cannon Beach, Tillamook Cheese Factory, and then in Austoria, the Lewis and Clark exhibits. (A cool side trip would be to see the Spruce Goose in McMinnville.

Our Road Less Traveled

2scootn

Covington, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kalaloch is a great campground to stay at on the coast near the Olympic National Park. I would drive up north from there around Lake Crescent and make my way through Sequim to Port Townsend. Very quaint Victorian style town on the water with an excellent Saturday Farmer's market and shops. There are a couple of SP's in the area but depending on time of year, they may be completely booked (Fort Worden in Port Townsend and Fort Flagler on Marrowstone Island - which is a great motorcycle ride, we take our scooters). If those are full, you should have good luck getting a spot in Port Ludlow RV Park, which seems like a SP with all the trees and seclusion. There is a ferry that goes from Port Townsend over to Whidbey Island - lots to do and see there (couple more SP's - Fort Ebey and Fort Casey) and a GREAT island to motorcycle on. You can continue heading East by going north on the island through Deception Pass to I-5 and onto either Hwy 2 or further south on I-90 to Idaho.

Sounds like a great trip - have a fabulous time!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive up to Seattle at least once a year, sometimes more. I really like the East Side of the Cascades up through Bend. Cross the Columbia R near Goldendale, WA and then across the Yakima Res. You can cross the Cascades on White Pass and come out at Mt Rainier.

The weather on the East Side is much better. There is little traffic and it is scenic. I do not like the windy coast roads up and down in the fog, especially pulling a rig. You will get plenty of rain and fog when you head over to the Olympic Peninsula.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To put this in order, Coming north along the Or. coast, you must transit over to I-5 at Portland then north to See Mt St. Hellens, then north again on I-5 to Highway 14 to get over to Mt Rainer and back again to I-5 and north to Olympia and 101 back out to the Olympic Park.
After seeing the park, IT's highway 20 from Port Townsend, all the way to eastern WA. (that's the north Cascade Highway, and a beautiful drive.
Wave when you come by the house [emoticon]

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbigham wrote:

Thanks,

Chuck

Be careful about boon docking in areas you don't know. Many dirt roads lead up hill to a active log pole landing, and there is no turn around. Log trucks are able to turn around where your coach can't.
Many roads look great at the start, but turn into a night mare a mile up.

Use your Jeep and explore first..

And note, any dirt road that looks wet in the summer is an active logging road, the log trucks have water cooled brakes, and they have right of way. The logging company made that road they own it. and they don't like you using it.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One place not mentioned, Fort Stevens State Park, near Astoria Oregon. Superb RV camping and walk over to look at the huge gun emplacements from WWII.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks,
We will also stop in Shelton for a few days to see my nephew, stationed at McChord/Lewis. Doesnt look like theres roads crossing Olympic, mostly around circumference. Anything to see on the way to Sand Point?

2scootn

Covington, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take Hwy 20 over to Sandpoint, Winthrop is a old western town along the way. If staying in Shelton, there are neat little towns along the Hood canal (Potlatch, Hoodsport to name a couple).

If taking Hwy 2 over, Leavenworth is a Bavarian town that would be a good stop. Not much off of I-90 other than Vantage and the Columbia river.

A lot to see up here in WA as well as OR.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Oregon, washington, Idaho then back to CA ideas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.