RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: No Service Address Changes on DirecTV

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> No Service Address Changes on DirecTV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just read a post on another forum where the DirecTV RV customer tried to change his service address for local channels and was told by a C/S supervisor that DirecTV no longer allows it. They were told they would have to have a separate account for the RV with DNS locals.

Since I have DISH I was not able to verify the information. Those with DirecTV have you tried to change your service address in the last couple of days and experienced this? Is DirecTV getting even more RV unfriendly?

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the big deal with being able to receive "locals?" I haven't used broadcast or sat tv in almost a decade, so I'm a bit out of practice. Other than emergency alert, which will come over radio and cell phone regardless, what does local news offer that regional / national news does not?

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

What's the big deal with being able to receive "locals?" I haven't used broadcast or sat tv in almost a decade, so I'm a bit out of practice. Other than emergency alert, which will come over radio and cell phone regardless, what does local news offer that regional / national news does not?

Lots of folks watch “local” tv, that is, all the main networks. That means NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. So for many, that is a big deal.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only see it as an issue if you are out in the middle of nowhere and OTA doesn't work.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time I did this was a few months ago.. and it was way more difficult than ever. I chose a Los Angeles address which I am able to receive anywhere, and as long as that works I see no reason to change.

Thanks for the heads up.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennysmom09 wrote:

GordonThree wrote:

Lots of folks watch “local” tv, that is, all the main networks. That means NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. So for many, that is a big deal.

Isn't most of that stuff available OTA, depending on your location? When we're out, we switch to antenna mode and pick up "local" CBS/ABC/NBC/PBS/TWN that way. Besides that, the mainstream networks broadcast the same stuff everywhere, don't they? Doesn't matter if I get the Seattle feed or the Detroit feed. Same shows, different times.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do that.
Doctor: Don't do that.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok so why wouldn't I get those network channels without updating my address? If I'm receiving them now that is, wouldn't I keep receiving those same channels.

Something about a "spot beam?"

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same old garbage... One company buys another paying far more than they should have, and then tries to squeeze the customers with higher charges, customer service reps that know nothing except how to read a computer screen in barely understandable English, and cutting programming options. They'll keep doing it until it directly affects me and then I'm gone. Did it with Sirius and will with DirecTV, in a heartbeat.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Tom N

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An RV account was always required for moving a receiver from one location to another and receiving those local channels. Read the Terms of Service.

Many, if not most, RV'ers do not have an RV DTV account.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> No Service Address Changes on DirecTV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS