|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> door latch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have problems with their TirMark door latch on their mh ?
In August 2015 we bought a new Itasca mh, about 6 months later the TriMark latch broke, it was warranty and we was given a new one. About a year latter it broke again, we had to pay for the new one that time.
Now this past month that one broke also. We found a new different make made to fit. We will see how long this one lasts.
There is a thin plastic piece inside that breaks and then one cannot open the door from inside the mh.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I have had two Trimark locks break, lucky, we were inside both times. It is not an uncommon problem, advise is to carry a spare, and always leave one window unlocked, as the lock has to be removed from INSIDE!

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine broke three times. The first time was on the road and I found a salvage shop and bought a used door latch and just replaced the broken part with a good part from the salvaged lock. The second time I ordered a new Trimark assy. When the latch inside that one broke I was not going to spend another $100 for a new one that only lasted 4 years so I made a steel strip and screwed it to the broken latch itself. The latch is made from a cast zinc alloy and is very weak. If I had a machine shop or access to one I would have made a new one from solid steel but so far my repaired one is working fine after several years.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

Yes, I have had two Trimark locks break, lucky, we were inside both times. It is not an uncommon problem, advise is to carry a spare, and always leave one window unlocked, as the lock has to be removed from INSIDE!

With my class C, I would simply unlock and enter through one of the two cab doors rather than crawling in through a window. (I have actually had to "break in" to my own motorhome once, but that was in consequence to locking my keys inside. I was indeed glad I had a window that was open a little!)

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone hide a key somewhere ? I know a broken lock for an rv door is a broken lock, but a well hidden key for the cab isn't such a bad idea .

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH Yeah. I keep an extra cab door key hidden in a magnetic key box. This Trimark latch we are talking broke and I was locked out. Won't happen again. I also carry an extra latch because it will surely break again.

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours broke after 16 years. I replaced it with the replacement Tri-Mark in October 2018.... Time will tell.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> door latch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS