|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Inverter Generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jeffinho

Lafayette

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Jeffinho,

Propane gens work well--but at a cost of about 12% of total output.

Propane is harder to source and run time is fairly short.

Hi pianotuna, thanks for your reply. I do know that propane will lead to slightly lower running and starting watts.
Was more interested to know what kind of runtime to expect for that Firman generator on a 20lbs tanks (assuming a 50% load or something)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Jeffinho,

8.8 hours for a 20 lb tank assuming 2500 watts of output from the generator.

https://www.motorsnorkel.com/propane-consumption-rate

Jeffinho wrote:

Hi pianotuna, thanks for your reply. I do know that propane will lead to slightly lower running and starting watts.
Was more interested to know what kind of runtime to expect for that Firman generator on a 20lbs tanks (assuming a 50% load or something)

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/19 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sheepdog78 wrote:

I’m looking at a Firman WH02942 dual fuel inverter 3200/2900 watt generator for use with a 50 amp 5er. I’m looking for just enough power to run 1 ac and some lights, yet be light enough to easily move. Anyone have any experience with Firman?

FYI: "Normally" EVERYTHING "generator/s" will be found in the TECH ISSUES forum - (also consider the search feature - both the most recent 12 months and older than 12).

However generator threads can be found in various other forums (as this one is) whether Toy Haulers, Travel Trailers, the several MH forums, etc. (so if you do a search - don't limit it to any one forum).

Lastly -as above- there is a thread currently running in the General RV Issues - regarding a FIRMAN RECALL.

See thread by "2112" started 5-23-19. The model is not the one you indicated, but should you - or someone else - change your preference, it's worth reading.
Also - (assuming it's correct) it should not be a problem getting a "fixit" or replacement by Firman or Costco - just your time and effort.

[emoticon]

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curly2001 wrote:

Anyone had experience with a Westinghouse IGEN 2500 generator?
Thanks,
Curly

Limited usage so far, LOVE IT!

Jeffinho

Lafayette

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Jeffinho,

8.8 hours for a 20 lb tank assuming 2500 watts of output from the generator.

https://www.motorsnorkel.com/propane-consumption-rate

Jeffinho wrote:

I personally finally decided not to go for a Firman generator, as even these guys here https://generatorbible.com/generators/firman/wh02942/ (who seem to have some pretty good stats and specs on portable generators) openly admit that they have no clue of what the runtime on propane is.
I don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't publish such values, and do find such practice suspicious and somewhat untrustworthy. I decided to go for a Champion generator instead.

the1adman

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had this generator for a couple months. Here is my review of it. I purchased this inverter to replace a 10 year old Champion open frame 3500 watt generator. The Champion has been perfect and never once given me any trouble. The reason for replacement was the Champion is rated at 68 db and this Firman is rated at 58 db and I want to run on propane. I completed the 5 hour break in procedure to the book before attempting over a 50% load. Although this generator was loud I thought it may quiet down after break in.There is almost no difference in sound output when loaded between the old Champion and this Firman. When set to Eco mode with no load the Firman is idled down and is roughly 78 db @ 3' and 71 db @ 25' but when loaded it is 88 db @ 3' and 78 db @ 25'. For reference my open frame Champion 3500 is 87 db @ 3' and 76 db @ 25' loaded. Neither my old generator or this new Firman is acceptable to most campers in campgrounds. This generator did start and run my 13.5 RV AC without issue and I do have a hard start capacitor installed so it is well under the generators capability. I do like everything about it except the noise which I find unacceptable when compared to other similar priced and sized generators (Champion, Predator) I have seen from friends and fellow campers. After a month or so there were mostly bad reviews on Firman’s website for this generator. Firman deleted them and when I resubmitted the review above it was never posted. The 2 or 3 times I have contacted their customer service it has not been very good, nothing like Champions customer service.

Jeffinho

Lafayette

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the1adman wrote:

I have had this generator for a couple months. Here is my review of it. I purchased this inverter to replace a 10 year old Champion open frame 3500 watt generator. The Champion has been perfect and never once given me any trouble. The reason for replacement was the Champion is rated at 68 db and this Firman is rated at 58 db and I want to run on propane. I completed the 5 hour break in procedure to the book before attempting over a 50% load. Although this generator was loud I thought it may quiet down after break in.There is almost no difference in sound output when loaded between the old Champion and this Firman. When set to Eco mode with no load the Firman is idled down and is roughly 78 db @ 3' and 71 db @ 25' but when loaded it is 88 db @ 3' and 78 db @ 25'. For reference my open frame Champion 3500 is 87 db @ 3' and 76 db @ 25' loaded. Neither my old generator or this new Firman is acceptable to most campers in campgrounds. This generator did start and run my 13.5 RV AC without issue and I do have a hard start capacitor installed so it is well under the generators capability. I do like everything about it except the noise which I find unacceptable when compared to other similar priced and sized generators (Champion, Predator) I have seen from friends and fellow campers. After a month or so there were mostly bad reviews on Firman’s website for this generator. Firman deleted them and when I resubmitted the review above it was never posted. The 2 or 3 times I have contacted their customer service it has not been very good, nothing like Champions customer service.

****, this kind of practice is unacceptable, which is why I decided not to buy any of their products. Also, I did a bit of digging on this brand, and they seem somewhat connected to SunJoe, which sells overall low quality OPE. Kind of comforts me in my decision to choose Champion

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for the Champion Inverter genny, going on its 4th year it has been bulletproof for us and will run our RV AC without any duress, primarily at elevations above 6K. Having an Onan onboard genny with over a decade of heavy use, I decided to give it a break and purchased our Champion with remote start for the one button convenience. For the money there is no better buy that includes 3 year warranty along with amazing customer support and parts availability.

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 vote for the Champion 3100 inverter. In fairness, I did install a couple of the Microair Easystart units to 2 of my 3 AC's. The champion would run fine without them, but always had to have it on "normal" mode vs "Eco" as the startup in-rush of current was a problem on ECO mode. Now I can run on ECO mode no problem and save a bunch of fuel. Oh, and for clarity, I only run one of the A/C's at a time. Not inferring I can run them both at once.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/19 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

Another vote for the Champion Inverter genny, going on its 4th year it has been bulletproof for us and will run our RV AC without any duress, primarily at elevations above 6K. Having an Onan onboard genny with over a decade of heavy use, I decided to give it a break and purchased our Champion with remote start for the one button convenience. For the money there is no better buy that includes 3 year warranty along with amazing customer support and parts availability.

Please explain "bulletproof" in regards to your Champion genny. That's a term normally reserved for those unfortunates driving Ford 6.0 PSDs. [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Inverter Generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS