|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Best 2 Wheel Drive Automatic Trans Trucks to Flat Tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/19 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for a midsize automatic trans truck to flat tow behind my motorhome, I know I need a driveline disconnect installed, but what brand and year is the best with least other issues such as steering wheel lock, etc.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also are some fullsize trucks easier to setup for flat towing, 4x4 or 2 wheel drive.

Was looking at a 2015 toyota tacoma and heard it has issues to setup for flat towing..

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a automatic trans truck we pulled when we full timed for three years. I would not suggest a driveline disconnect. I spent too much time under the truck getting it to work. Get a 4x4 that has a transfer case that can be put into neutral.

BTW, I had ours installed by a local mechanic, and finally took it to the factory where it was made and they reinstalled it and the problems persisted.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would spend the money on a four wheel drive truck that can shifted into neutral to be towed rather than spending additional money modifying a truck to work. You will get a higher resale out of the 4x4 and you never know you may want to go off road somewhere while traveling.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you set on a 2 Wheel drive and not a 4WD truck? I'm not sure why you would want to go into a flat tow situation knowing you have to use a disconnect. I'm not sure there is enough body of evidence to give you advice which 2WD drive trucks to avoid, reality is that problems happen hard to say if its the owner or truck. If the truck is designed to flat tow it should be fine.

A couple place to start: Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing List
Remco Towing Store can tell you in more detail what can be towed 4-day, which need disconnects or which are not recommended.

Once you narrow your truck make, model and year its easier for some other owners to chime in.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Captain_Happy

Pahrump, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was Rving with a Motor Home I was flat towing a 2010 Ford Ranger, 2 wheel drive, manual tranny. I installed the base plate, extra lights in the tail light enclosures, and a ready brake system. The only way to flat tow it is to install a driveline disconnect. So a Tacoma 4x4 I'm not sure about, I'd have to get the owners manual out do some reading. Not sure about the new Rangers, or Chevs.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

We had a automatic trans truck we pulled when we full timed for three years. I would not suggest a driveline disconnect. I spent too much time under the truck getting it to work. Get a 4x4 that has a transfer case that can be put into neutral.

BTW, I had ours installed by a local mechanic, and finally took it to the factory where it was made and they reinstalled it and the problems persisted.

IMHO drive line disconnects suck and had a similar experience. get a 4x4
bumpy

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also had a drive line disconnet on a 2wd pickup and had problems with it and would never do again. Since then every car, suv or pu we have owned has been towable 4 down without modifications. I have checked and the 2019 ford ranger 4x4 is towable 4 down w/at.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies, did not know the driveline disconnects were a pain to maintain, yes a 4x4 would be better but here in Vegas very few used low milage 4x4 midsize/small trucks for sale but many 2 wheel drive is available all day long, right now I know of only 2 good used 4x4 midsize trucks and the dealers want $8,000 more vs a 2 wheel drive.

Local driveline shop will do the work for $1400..

Also I understand some newer 4x4's cant be flat towed, is that correct..

* This post was edited 04/02/19 01:05pm by timmac *

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I found a really clean 2010 4x4 ford ranger with automatic at a dealer, I also heard the computor has to be reflashed for flat towing.

How old of a 4x4 automatic truck do I have to buy that just flat tows with out dealer work to be done..

* This post was edited 04/02/19 03:25pm by timmac *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Best 2 Wheel Drive Automatic Trans Trucks to Flat Tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS