|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Truck trailering packages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Skycrath

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tons of great information, thanks so much to everyone. Much more math than I anticipated, but best for me to figure it all out now so I don't run into any problems later on.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Math - right [emoticon] Biotechs should be able to compute well...

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Skycrath

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haha, can compute but don't necessarily like to. [emoticon]

monkey44 wrote:

Math - right [emoticon] Biotechs should be able to compute well...

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would buy the 30' trailer and the 3/4 ton truck now. It will save you $1,000's down the road.
Any 3/4 ton gas or diesel will handle a 30' TT. Longer and heavier if you are inclined.
By starting with a 1/2 ton and planning on going larger, you'll limit yourself to 'Lite' 30' TT's. You will also lose a bunch of $$$ buying now and trading/selling in a few years. Way more than you will lose on your truck if you decide to trade or sell it later on. RV's depreciate fast.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

I would buy the 30' trailer and the 3/4 ton truck now. It will save you $1,000's down the road.
Any 3/4 ton gas or diesel will handle a 30' TT. Longer and heavier if you are inclined.
By starting with a 1/2 ton and planning on going larger, you'll limit yourself to 'Lite' 30' TT's. You will also lose a bunch of $$$ buying now and trading/selling in a few years. Way more than you will lose on your truck if you decide to trade or sell it later on. RV's depreciate fast.

Buy your 2nd trailer first! It always cost more to get it right on the 2nd try!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice so far. Remember that there are many different types of trailers: flatbed, dump, cargo, cattle, horse, RV, etc. A hard sided RV is more difficult to tow than the other types. They have a huge frontal area, a high percentage of tongue weight, very little ability to shift the tongue weight, and a big side area to act as a sail. You can't just assume that a manufacturer's television ad stating a certain tow capacity is automatically applicable to every trailer type. A truck that might easily handle an 8,000 pound boat might be over-matched by a 7,000 pound RV. Truck payload vs. tongue weight is usually a much larger factory than tow rating; particularly with 1500 trucks. Looking at the door sticker payload and computing backward to a trailer tongue weight and gross weight is critical.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off-congratulations on coming here before you bring out the wallet and possibly make a mistake. We're all pretty knowledgeable about RVing (just ask us).
We drive a Ram 3/4 Hemi 6.4, and pull a 30 ft. 9995 lb trailer. Money well spent on the tow vehicle! Most 1/2 ton trucks just don't have the "guts" in most cases to safely get under a longer unit. They have the power, but tires, brakes, and suspension is usually light weight.
It seems the majority on here are making the case for more truck, and I have to agree.
One last note; don't always believe the sales person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're job is to move units.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

op wrote:

I’m totally new to both the truck and travel trailer worlds. But I want to make sure I get the appropriate trailering package on my new truck, both for my needs now and any trailer upgrades I may make in the future. I’ll initially be towing a 22ft travel trailer, but want a truck that can handle a 30ft travel trailer if I decide I need/want more living space in a couple years.

Good advise so far.
I would add trucks don't pull trailers determined by the trailers length but by the trailers weight.
A 30' TT may weigh 12k depending on floor plan/options.
And another 30' TT may have a 7500 gvwr and a 2000 CCC.
The 12k TT needs a 3/4 ton truck....
... the 7500 gvwr TT can be pulled with the "properly equipped" 1/2 ton truck.

If you gotta' have a 1500 GM truck then as other poster say NHT option gets you a 7600 gvwr and 4300 rawr 2000 lb payloads.
The 5.3 won't have any problems pulling around 6k-7k gross weight however if your 30' TT weighs 10k then the 6.2 engine with its higher rated 420 hp/460 torque is needed.

* This post was edited 04/05/19 12:04pm by JIMNLIN *

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good info above. All I can add is check the tires that come on it. Many 1/2 tons are equipped with P rated tires which give a nice unloaded ride but are kind of squishy for a tow vehicle. You might be able to use it as a bargaining chip to get the dealer to change them for 8 or 10 ply at no extra cost to you.
Have fun shopping!

fdwt994

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others have said, do your homework. Too many look at "tow ratings" and think they're good when that's one one of several ratings you need to understand. When we were towing with a 1/2 ton, the payload capacity was our limiting factor by far. Our "tow rating" was still 2,500 lbs under but payload was maxed out. The handling (i.e. ability to control!) was much improved when we moved to the 3/4 ton. Good luck!

2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Truck trailering packages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.