|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Question re axle replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gregmisc wrote:

I had uneven tire wear on my original tires and contacted the dealer. The dealer said he doesn’t align axles and sent me to a truck shop. The truck shop said they are not adjustable and could not help me. I finally found a shop that said they could do the alignment but they found both Lippert axles were bent and needed to be replaced. The owner said the Lipperts were not made as well as Dexters so he ordered larger capacity Dexter axles for replacement. I hope this solves my problem.
Having had both brands, IMO, The Lipperts are made better. The difference is that Lippert powder coats them, and Dexter paints them. Other than that they are the same.

They will both build them to a customers spec.
That goes for tube thickness, Hub face spec, ratings, brake sizes etc. Actually just about all of the individual parts are interchangeable.

So you canbuy a weak or strong axle from either company.

I bet your shop was a Dexter dealer.

At any rate, going stronger was a good thing. But it was too bad he felt the need to throw Lippert under the bus. He gets an "A" for the stronger axle recommendation, and an "F" for truthfullness about his competition.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

gregmisc

Teller County, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are probably right about the dealer.

2018 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 3.5L V6 ECOBOOST
3.55 Electronic Lock RR Axle
Max Trailer Tow Package 12,700# Tow Capacity
Anderson WDH
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultralight 24 RLS

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

gregmisc wrote:

I had uneven tire wear on my original tires and contacted the dealer. The dealer said he doesn’t align axles and sent me to a truck shop. The truck shop said they are not adjustable and could not help me. I finally found a shop that said they could do the alignment but they found both Lippert axles were bent and needed to be replaced. The owner said the Lipperts were not made as well as Dexters so he ordered larger capacity Dexter axles for replacement. I hope this solves my problem.
Having had both brands, IMO, The Lipperts are made better. The difference is that Lippert powder coats them, and Dexter paints them. Other than that they are the same.

That goes for tube thickness, Hub face spec, ratings, brake sizes etc. Actually just about all of the individual parts are interchangeable.

At any rate, going stronger was a good thing. But it was too bad he felt the need to throw Lippert under the bus. He gets an "A" for the stronger axle recommendation, and an "F" for truthfullness about his competition.
So let me see if I got this right. You have had both axles and know better then the truck shop (who works with axles every day of his life) which axle is better. And in your opinion, the truck shop was lying ( "F" for truthfullness).

Did I get that right?

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

gregmisc wrote:

Interesting. I had a 2010 Heartland Northtrail with 4400lb 3"OD Lippert axles. I needed an alignment and took it to a local big truck/RV alignment shop. The guy doing the alignment said that the axles felt soft so he put in a little extra camber.

Thats my story, take it how ever you want.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

gregmisc wrote:

ROFLMAO. Lippert, the fine folks who bring you pleather furniture that peels and flakes within two years, shower bases that crack if the user weighs more than 90 lbs, leveling systems that blow seals and hose fittings often along with losing calibration almost every time they're used, electronic control systems that lock up and require constant rebooting, frames that deflect or crack, windows that open themselves while traveling, under powered motors for slideouts which also go out of sync and cause slides to jam, etc etc etc.

You might want to discuss who makes the better axle with some of the hundreds if not thousands of Grand Design owners who had Lippert axles prior to 2018 or whenever it was that Grand Design threw in the Lippert axle towel and switched to Dester.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim
"You might want to discuss who makes the better axle with some of the hundreds if not thousands of Grand Design owners who had Lippert axles prior to 2018 or whenever it was that Grand Design threw in the Lippert axle towel and switched to Dester."

Nuff said. [emoticon]

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

gregmisc wrote:

Interesting. I had a 2010 Heartland Northtrail with 4400lb 3"OD Lippert axles. I needed an alignment and took it to a local big truck/RV alignment shop. The guy doing the alignment said that the axles felt soft so he put in a little extra camber.

Thats my story, take it how ever you want.
I believe you. My current Lippert axles were built to my spec. They are available in different tube sizes and thicknesses. I now have 3" heavy walled tubes. Most manufacturers will not pay up for that. Extra camber by the way will not correct a weak thin walled tube... Well not permamently any way/ The first good sized bump in the road will remove that camber.

mhsmith

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2001 32'TT. This reason alone makes me think twice about replacing it. it scares the heck out of me as I do not have any poor tire problems and no need to concern myself with an alignment issue. Close guess as to miles on the trailer are around 35k-40k. Tires have been replaced primarily when a tire would blow...at which the whole set got replaced. Current set was replaced in 2016 with D load range and wish I had done that earlier in its life. Up to this point they were C LR tires. The D's just make this thing tow better.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 02:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

gregmisc wrote:

So let me see if I got this right. You have had both axles and know better then the truck shop (who works with axles every day of his life) which axle is better. And in your opinion, the truck shop was lying ( "F" for truthfullness).

Did I get that right?
Yep. I have caught so many shops, dealers etc. in lies, and just over all incompetence, that I quit giving them my money many years ago. It helps a lot that I am an advanced DIYselfer. I can do most any thing better than the so called pros.
You gotta realize that in most cases, the person working on your stuff, isn't the best or the brightest... Of course that works both ways. Many of their customers are in that group as well.... And they do not recognize incompetence when it happens to them.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend you take the trailer to a reputable frame & axle shop with experience in RVs. For a couple hundred $$ or so, you can get a thorough inspection done and possibly even find things you wouldn't have suspected. We did that on a brand new TT when found found a problem the day after we owned it. After going to a frame & axle shop, we eventually got the entire TT replaced under warranty along with a much improved frame & suspension.

I would not trust the dealer and what the dealer might tell you what Lippert told them. We were told Lippert said "it's within spec." which it def. wasn't. Total ****.

Yes, it's not uncommon for spring hangers to be welded in the wrong locations. They can also be bent to one side and if the frame is a weak design, the bottom web of the I-beams can be distorted - we had both these issues plus some others.

I would avoid Lippert's Equa-flex equalizer and go to Dexter or Mor-Ryde. Much better built. Our TT came with Equa-flex and we replaced them immediatly with Dexter plus their wet-bolt kit and sold the Equa-flex on ebay.

I see your TT has a GVWR of 5995 lbs so LRC tires *should* be fine. One possible cause of tire wear on one side of a tire can be loose bearings but if on a fairly new TT and the drums have never been off, it's unlike to be a cause.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Question re axle replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS