|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Mini-Split Airconditioners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Captain_Happy wrote:

Not sure about mounting them into RV's that the roll down the road, ...

That would be my concern. I don't know how well the compressor and other "outside" components would handle all the rocking and rolling.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a two unit Daiken mini split in one of my rentals. A larger unit in the living room, and a smaller one in the master bedroom. They installed the whole thing in one day. The tenants love it. Very quiet heating and cooling. Very efficient as well. One drawback is the other two bedroom doors need to be open to receive the benefit of it. In Oregon, there was a state tax credit for it. I don't see why it couldn't work well in an RV if it was well secured. It would certainly be much more quiet than the stock furnace that blows more noise than heat.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6-8000 btu/hr split 12 volt units - http://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/work-series
[image]

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was talking to an A/C tech about mini splits. He said most are made in China by the one company and branded with many brand names. They generally work well.

He said the one thing that you should check in the owner manual is the chart that says "Room Temperature" and under that "Outdoor Temperature" to make sure the Outdoor temperature range says 122 degrees. Apparently some are sold that are good up to 108 degrees and the thermal cutoff will shut it down above that temperature.

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting to see a 12 volt unit. Ty Chris.

The web site doesn't work well with Firefox on win 10.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hypoxia wrote:

I was talking to an A/C tech about mini splits. He said most are made in China by the one company and branded with many brand names.

Mostly correct ! The well know brands in the mini-split business are Mitsubishi and Fujitsu. I am pretty certain they are NOT made in China !

One issue with any heat pump is low temperature operation (heating). Many do not generate significant heat below 30F-40F. Some go much lower (below 0F). It is not easy to understand the specs on some of these so you may need to consult an experts.

Most manufacturers do make A/C only versions of the same units and these are less expensive.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Interesting to see a 12 volt unit.

12VDC A/C or heat pumps are still very expensive. (Believe it or not most actually have an inverter built in that creates high voltage 3 phase AC !)

Unless 12VDC operation is a must, stick with 120VAC.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Captain_Happy wrote:

Not sure about mounting them into RV's that the roll down the road, ...

That would be my concern. I don't know how well the compressor and other "outside" components would handle all the rocking and rolling.

Well Sir,
To see how well all those type of components work, in an RV type situation, just look at the thousands of Winnebago and Itascas that were produced from around maybe '00 to about maybe '09 or so. A very, very large percentage of those coaches, were made with "Basement A/C" units. Those are almost the same as a residential mini split. And they are close to regular residential units.

But, in any case, the compressors in those basement units, we have one, last and handle the rocking and rolling that RVs instill on them without issue. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, has the basement A/C and at around 15 years old and 89,000 miles of "less than perfect American roads and freeways", that basement A/C is still putting out "tons" of cold air.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We gave 3 mini splits in our house in Mexico. None were made in China. They are great and Workin over 110 temps. But I doubt they would survive in an RV environment. The 110 volt Mexican units sell for around $300.

Moisheh

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Mini-Split Airconditioners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS