|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camco RV vent covers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm tired of replacing vent lids from sun damage, so finally getting some covers. While I know many of you recommend the MaxxAir covers, I liked the idea of the Camcos opening up in the rear for vent screen cleaning. I didn't want/need the much larger MaxxAir 2s, that tip up. Since ordering the Camco covers, I've read that they do not last long in the sun. I'm sure other members have actual experience. Anyone care to give a review of their experience?

Jerry

[image]

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an older style Camco that opened from the front for cleaning. It lasted 2 seasons and fell apart. I am trying one like your picture now. My other 2 are Maxx Air and have lasted a long time but are cracking at the bolt holes so it won't be long. Our sun is tough on plastics.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed this unit last May. Used RV cover for winter, removed it two weeks ago. The vent cover is still white but the removable screened rear panel looks like somebody peed on it and left it in the sun in Utah! Can't stand the color. Gonna have to get some white plastic paint for it ;( It yellowed last summer and its gotten too annoying to me on my one year old camper.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

Luv Campin

Brentwood, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had a camco for several years and it has been fine.

2007 Ford F150
2012 Keystone Summerland 2100RB
one bossy dachsund
1 short wife and 1 short dog

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My previous RV had the covers you are considering. I sold it at 10 years old and the covers were still working like the day they were new.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wrktfsh

Here n there

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had the camcos fall apart due to sunlight. Get a rattle can of whatever color paint you want and spray them. Instant uv protection

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I have ordered 3 of these covers, I won't get them until this coming week. I can just return them, get the standard MaxxAir, but hate to remove them to clean debris from underneath, and screens. It is reassuring to see Bobbo's Camco covers lasted a long time, as well as others still having good results, after several yrs.

As to the discoloration, I could still send back, get smoke or black, but would be concerned of the dark color being more quickly damaged by sun UV.

Hope to hear more members thoughts/reviews, as to me, it is a better source than Amazon reviews etc.

Jerry

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UV will destroy most any plastic. How long they last depends on where you live and how much time it spends in direct sun.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL,
I would spray the new covers with Krylon white paint and they should last for many years in the sun without discoloring. Things on my trailer that I sprayed about 12 years ago are still white (door window frames, fridge vent on roof, stove vent cover outside, etc.). Our trailer has spent the past 8 of its' 15 year life outside in the sun all year long. By the way, the MaxxAir covers that I have (2 of them) have been on there for all 15 years, were not painted, and still are like new.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

While I have ordered 3 of these covers, I won't get them until this coming week. I can just return them, get the standard MaxxAir, but hate to remove them to clean debris from underneath, and screens. It is reassuring to see Bobbo's Camco covers lasted a long time, as well as others still having good results, after several yrs.

As to the discoloration, I could still send back, get smoke or black, but would be concerned of the dark color being more quickly damaged by sun UV.

Hope to hear more members thoughts/reviews, as to me, it is a better source than Amazon reviews etc.

Jerry

MFL, that's why I went with the Maxxair II covers; you pull the quick release pins and flip the cover over for easy access to cleaning; takes about 5 seconds. The Maxxair II's also allow you to open the vent cover more for more air flow. Mine are going on 5 years old and still in perfect shape.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camco RV vent covers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS