|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Powerpole Info Needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
theczar

Southern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I am needing to create some custom wires and connections and it appears that Anderson Powerpoles are the way I want to go. Seems like the professional grade tools are really expensive. I will be making a handful of connections initially and then less than a couple a year at the most.

As I am researching I am noticing two types that are of interest. 1) PP30, PP45 and 2) SB50 connections. This will be a custom application so any sort of standardization is not important.

What I am looking for is experience and recommendations for both the connections and the Tools for making my cables. I am looking for a balance between quality and price know this is not for a professional application but do not want to have continuous rework going forward.

Rvpapa

Alberta , Can.

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the pricey tools are more for faster commercial work. I soldered all of mine over ten years ago. I did all battery connections,very low cost, took more time, and has never needed repair.
Art.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did not specify the maximum current required. The PP30 is 30 Amps, the PP45 is for up to 45 Amps, and the SB50 good for 50Amps with a more robust connector and housing. Each version is sized for the appropriate gage wire for the amperage. For all my electronic work I use mostly PP30. The same $45. Crimp tool will do PP15, PP30, and PP45 powerpoles. Note: the PP15, 30, and 45 are all capable of interconnecting. The crimp tool is the only way to go in my opinion. You can solder the connector pins to the wire if you are very good and do not get excessive solder on the connection, which hinders or prevents pushing the pins up into the plastic housing.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i bought the tool for the ease, convenience and for future use. i’ve soldered hundreds and hundreds of connections over the years...still do when need be.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

theczar

Southern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your comments.

It is intended for a 400 watt portable Solar system So I believe 30 amp should be sufficient.

My soldering skills are not very good so want to stick with crimping. I am looking for specific Crimpers. I have seen some from under $20 to over several hundred dollars. Looking for experienced opinions for a low cost but sufficient quality for a weekend warrior like myself.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use a standard wire crimper for up to #8 wire. Done plenty of Powerpoles without issue.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oooooooo Oooooooo Ooooooooo

With this puppy I can crimp ultra tiny Hirose electronic connectors in no time.

Cross reference the tool and then the die size to the price list.......

"EIGHT HUNDRED AND WTF?"

"Where's the @#$%&! needle nose pliers?"

This is like spotting a highway sign for a greasy spoon Breakfast Special $4.95. Later inside....Coffee $2.95. Soft drinks $2.95.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I broke down and bought this crimper which does PP15, PP30 and PP45 It has different dies sets available, but none for SB50. (I don't think the jaws will open far enough.)

Not an "official" Anderson endorsed product but it does the job.

If you Google around, you will find the same model fro a couple of different supplier.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A vise works pretty well.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Theczar - because you will be running wiring for a 30A solar system I recommend you purchase the Andersen Powerpole PP45. The wiring hole for the PP30 terminal is a bit too small for the size wire you should be using ( 10 guage ). Note, the plastic housings for the PP15, PP30, and PP45 are all the same and all mate with each other.

I also recommend you purchase a crimper from one of these two sites:

https://powerwerx.com/tricrimp-powerpole-connector-crimping-tool

http://www.dcpwr.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=129

The dcpwr.com people are a small business and have particularly outstanding customer service in my experience.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Powerpole Info Needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS