|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Smaller Drivers seat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford E-350 and 450 seats are composed of two parts, one is the box frame that is anchored to the floor and the other is the unit were the sliding rails are attached to the box, get some steel flat bar 3" wide by the amount needed for the two sides and a minimum of 1/4" thick- 3/8" will be better, measure where to attach the bar to the floor box and then calculate how far back you want the seat at the back end of the slide to be and mark the hole centers, you might have to get a machine shop to drill the holes and sand the saw cuts for you, then attack the bars to the seat and to the floor box.

Make sure that you have the correct grade bolts, washers and nuts, the bolts should have 5 small raised lines from the center to the perimiter, do not use any Chinese junk!

I have the E-350 and raised the seats 3" up and 4" back using square 1/4" tube, it can be done.

navegator

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it have RV seats? Or Ford seats? Most RV seats are way thicker, and less comfortable too IMO.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Does it have RV seats? Or Ford seats? Most RV seats are way thicker, and less comfortable too IMO.
There are ebay sellers offering brand new take-off OEM seats. Prices are around $100 per seat but shipping is expensive. I am not sure E-series are available. Just ask the sellers.

If a trip gets you close, stop by to save those stiff shipping costs.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quote wrote:

you might have to get a machine shop to drill the holes and sand the saw cuts for you, then attack the bars to the seat and to the floor box.

x2, that's why I suggested an auto body shop/fabricator. [emoticon]
My friends shop did it for me on two class B's and I know he fabricates seat bases on the medium duty trucks that he builds.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to correct the number of lines on the bolt head, they should be 6 six lines radiating from the center to the flat sides of the bolts, the tablet does not like my big fingers.

navegator

TMJ1624

Helena

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everybody, I think I’ll try to find smaller seat......Happy Trails......

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were shopping for a class C I could not find a single slideout model on a Ford or Chevy chassis where I could put the front seat back far enough for myself. That's the main reason we went with a Sprinter chassis. To be sure, the Sprinter has its liabilities, but no other class C chassis I've seen comes even close in terms of cab space.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

When we were shopping for a class C I could not find a single slideout model on a Ford or Chevy chassis where I could put the front seat back far enough for myself.
Then you did not look at a Phoenix Cruiser E450. [emoticon]

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

road-runner wrote:

When we were shopping for a class C I could not find a single slideout model on a Ford or Chevy chassis where I could put the front seat back far enough for myself.
You're correct. I certainly didn't look at every class C with a slideout. I'll add that the seat travel wasn't the only factor that sent me to the Sprinter. All of the Ford chassis models I looked at were difficult to maneuver around the doghouse, and I was aghast at the narrow foot space for driver and passenger. That could possibly be a reaction from spending most of my working life in horrible cramped tiny cubicles.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

road-runner wrote:

You're correct. I certainly didn't look at every class C with a slideout. I'll add that the seat travel wasn't the only factor that sent me to the Sprinter. All of the Ford chassis models I looked at were difficult to maneuver around the doghouse, and I was aghast at the narrow foot space for driver and passenger. That could possibly be a reaction from spending most of my working life in horrible cramped tiny cubicles.
My Phoenix cruiser without a slide out is not common. We special ordered ours that way. Most PC's have a slide out behind the driver seat, but it is set back nicely.

You are surely right in that the driver/passenger cockpit of the E-series is the "least comfortable" of the chassis choices out there.

My personal issue with the E-series cockpit is never brought up in discussions. It is the relationship of the seat & steering wheel, to the gas and brake pedals. The two pedals are skewed to the left compared to all other vehicles. Because my motor home is a seasonal-use vehicle, it always takes me one good driving day to acclimate to that difference. At the start of every season, when backing our rig out of our garage, putting my foot on the brake pedal to put the transmission in reverse, I always hit the gas pedal instead.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Smaller Drivers seat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS