RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Should We Get A New Hitch?!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Should We Get A New Hitch?!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BugsRLB wrote:

No it is not adjustable. It fits in 4 factory holes in the bed. Was thinking on some type of movable rotating kingpin.

I think a Sidewinder setup would work with your hitch! They are expensive, and should not be necessary with a Ford standard bed, and the right hitch. Your Reese is an expensive hitch, so it is hard to just discard it for something else. I know the B&W 3300 would work better, and can be adjusted ahead/back. B&W also makes a nice manual slider to fit oem Ford pucks. I measured a friends Ford with the OEM Reese for pucks, and I felt it was too close, the reason I went to B&W.

Anyway your options are limited, using the hitch you have. Unless you change hitches, the Sidewinder is about it. If you remain super aware, when turning/backing, you may get by as is?

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Is it a short bed or long bed truck?

If it was a long bed, it would be a non-issue. It is a standard bed length, Ford does not make a SuperDuty short bed.

Jerry

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GHop wrote:

Sorry reading this happened. Just curious, can you post a photo of your fifth wheel? I've had two fifth wheels now and have been towed them with no problems. My first hitch was a slider but I never had to use it. I started having some play in one of the rails so I purchased a new non-sliding hitch. I think the problem people are having is due to the cap on the fifth wheel. To be honest, if I had a problem like this I would have a slider.

azdryheat wrote:

I'll be blunt. Don't change a thing, I think you've learned to pay attention and this won't happen again.

OP's profile states 2017 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS, it has a rounded front, so likely just too tight of turn.
Unless you can get the point of rotation more than half the with of the 5er behind the cab this is always a possibility.
I love no having to think about it as I have a long bed and my point of rotation is more than 50" behind my cab.

This is something I don't want to always "Need to Pay Attention To".

When I think of these windows, I recall the time while driving north through Seaside, OR, as we were passing Bell Buoy Seafood's which was on the other side of 101. My DW said if we had some crab meat we could have Crab Louie's for dinner! No oncoming traffic, I swung a 180 on to the far shoulder of the road, square nosed 5er long bed TV!.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I’m glad I have a long bed…

My buddy's older ford is a 7' bed and he blew an air bag in a CG on a tight turn and dented his cab pretty good.

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long Bed Truck, no issues.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pullrite Superglide for 5 years now. Never have to worry about it.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been in a situation where I had to turn sharp. If you keep your same truck, trailer and hitch my guess is it will never happen again.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upgrading to a fifth wheel and based on posts like this and my own post, about what others do, I just order the pullrite superglide 2700. I called pullrite an they spent alot of time with me on the phone. Although you cant order from them, the call made me comfortable enough to buy it over the demco. I dont want to think about it, even though it cost more, the first time i cracked the cab would be way more $$$ than a hitch I dont have to think about. Just my choice.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 Platinum, 6.2L 6 spd 3.73 gears, Reese 12klb w/dual cam, Prodigy, Sunny Brook Sunset Creek 298 BH, Trojan 125's, 448 watts Solar Morning Star 45, Honda EU3000, Dish TV, Xantrax Pure Sine 2000, Wilson Cellular Ant/Amp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Should We Get A New Hitch?!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS