RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Dometic refrigerator setting while traveling

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic refrigerator setting while traveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

set it to gas and turn on the propane?

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turn it off and put small reusable Ice packs in the fridge part and then when you get to camp put them in the freezer part. that way you won't have a gas explosion at a service station when you forget to turn of the pilot light. you will get a lot of turn it on while traveling from a lot of lucky people on this site

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

turn it off and put small reusable Ice packs in the fridge part and then when you get to camp put them in the freezer part. that way you won't have a gas explosion at a service station when you forget to turn of the pilot light. you will get a lot of turn it on while traveling from a lot of lucky people on this site

Very alarmist thinking. Rv refers are designed to run on propane while on the road. The chance of An explosion because of them is slim. It isn’t an ice box of old days.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennysmom09 wrote:

old guy wrote:

Very alarmist thinking. Rv refers are designed to run on propane while on the road. The chance of An explosion because of them is slim. It isn’t an ice box of old days.

We had a fridge that was on the same side of the mh as the gas tank fill, so I added a switch near the drivers seat, and turned the fridge off as we entered the driveway to the gas station.
The only problem I had was remembering to turn the fridge back on after leaving.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennysmom09 wrote:

The chance of An explosion because of them is slim.
Slim? It's more likely you'll win the lottery.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

pennysmom09 wrote:

old guy wrote:

We had a fridge that was on the same side of the mh as the gas tank fill, so I added a switch near the drivers seat, and turned the fridge off as we entered the driveway to the gas station.
The only problem I had was remembering to turn the fridge back on after leaving.

After more than 40 years in the RV service business and reader of countless RV business and RV'er type magazines(Good Sam types), I have NEVER read or heard about a mishap or explosion at a gas Station that was related to a RV refer being on LP. Remember, PILOT light Refers will always have a flame and those are probably less than 1 percent of the refers today. All others will have auto ignition and odds are will NOT be lit when fueling as the refer has met its cold level. Also, most modern gas pumps have vapor recovery type systems that by law cannot exhaust fuel vapors like in the old days. So that minimizes the possibility of raw gas vapor/fumes migrating to the refer if on. I worry more about the people that LIGHT up cigarettes when refueling. The act of lighting the cigarette is more dangerous around gas pumps than a RV refer. Doug

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read once where a couple pulled into a gas station, I believe they were pulling a 5th wheel. A worker was servicing a filter on a gas pump, and it blew up killing the worker and destroying the RV. It could be that the furnace in the RV came on.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic refrigerator setting while traveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS