RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Propane tank certification? 2003 Thor told must be nspected

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Propane tank certification? 2003 Thor told must be nspected

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow up: Southern States manager got my email and called me to "thank me" for clarifying the new law (I gave credit to YOU FOLKS) and he would follow up with his entire staff to explain the difference between DOT tanks and the permanently-attached ASME tanks on motorhomes. The only inspection required is visual to ensure no damage/extreme rust to the ASME tank.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VA-Apraisr wrote:

The employee said they all had just taken a mandatory course on filling propane tanks and were instructed to check age of tank by tag on tank (which mine has and shows 2003 build). Mine like most of yours is built-in and permanently attached to camper. Is there a federal site or documentation I can print out to keep with me citing the correct rules for this? Also, would like to educate the Southern States location that I routinely fill my RV tank.
You can go that way or start at the top. Just ask to speak to the Southern States Store Manager. I've been dealing with a local Southern States since 1980 and can assure you the employee has it wrong. Let the older and wiser heads prevail. The store manager needs to get the employee straightened out, and will want to. As long as that employee is putting out that sort of garbage, the store is losing customers. Not what the manager wants. And yes, I know our local manager personally.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Chris Bryant wrote:

Permanently mounted ASME tanks do NOT need recertification, only visual inspection when filling. Portable DOT cylinders do need certification at 10 ( I believe) years then every 5 after that.
I’m surprised you got someone so ignorant of the laws.

I don’t know about the OP’s area, but they certainly do in some places.

OK, WHAT places????? Doug ASME inspections are for obvious rust and do not require any certification.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ASME Tanks.

No Recertification period required.
Slightly thicker steel.
Heavier than a DOT tank of the same capacity.
Designed for stationary installation. Not designed to be moved when holding propane. THIS MEANS WHEN NOT MOUNTED ON A VEHICLE. Doug
Design & Standards governed by American Society of Engineers. (ASME).

DOT Tanks

Recertification period requirements are: 12 Years after Manufacturing, then every 5 Years.
Designed for Portable Applications. Can be transported with propane if done so according to Code.
Design & Standards governed by Department of Transportation (DOT).

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

ASME Tanks.

No Recertification period required.
Slightly thicker steel.
Heavier than a DOT tank of the same capacity.
Designed for stationary installation. Not designed to be moved when holding propane. THIS MEANS WHEN NOT MOUNTED ON A VEHICLE. Doug
Design & Standards governed by American Society of Engineers. (ASME).

DOT Tanks

Recertification period requirements are: 12 Years after Manufacturing, then every 5 Years.
Designed for Portable Applications. Can be transported with propane if done so according to Code.
Design & Standards governed by Department of Transportation (DOT).
It's the American Society of Mechanical Engineers

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your using the smaller 20lbs tanks on your trailer just exchange them at Home Depot. They will accept any similar size tank of ANY condition as the exchange. Easy way to get a newer tank well within the 12 year rule.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Chris Bryant wrote:

Permanently mounted ASME tanks do NOT need recertification, only visual inspection when filling. Portable DOT cylinders do need certification at 10 ( I believe) years then every 5 after that.
I’m surprised you got someone so ignorant of the laws.

I don’t know about the OP’s area, but they certainly do in some places.

OK, WHAT places????? Doug ASME inspections are for obvious rust and do not require any certification.

Ontario, Manitoba & Saskatchewan all have mandatory 10 inspiration requirements. Even a stationery bulk tank in your yard must be recertified and bear an inspection label or they can’t be filled.

It’s admittedly a circle jerk when it comes to motorhomes though since the requirements don’t apply to out of Province plated vehicles and there’s nothing to say you can’t merely fill up before returning home.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Propane tank certification? 2003 Thor told must be nspected
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS