RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: What's your stick(est) wicket?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What's your stick(est) wicket?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahem, well... [emoticon]

There's a Thousand Trails CG not too far away we use sometimes. They're on native land and aren't allowed to trim trees so it's like the Amazon jungle. One weekend, I wanted to snag one of the prime, hard to get waterfront sites. Million dollar view so worth the effort. I had to unhook the TT part way through backing in to get the truck and TT re-aligned. Whew, tight fit but did it...

What a great weekend. Watching the sun set across the water is amazing. Got ready to leave and thought to myself, you know, I can do this in one shot! So I barely dodge one big tree part way out. Get around the corner a bit more and confront another big tree directly ahead. With the DW trying to help (not), instead of giving the steering wheel a twitch in one direction, I got it wrong and ended up with the TT being inches away from a tree in the front and another at the rear. Was stucker than stuck. Couldn't even unhook the TT to reposition it. Ended up having the CG bring their backhoe over to drag us sideways, all the while with 1/2 the CG watching.

I haven't tried to get into one of those sites since. Besides, DW would surely kill me if I did. We do walk by the scene of the crime sometimes tho.

Any more embarrassing questions? [emoticon]

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Took almost an hour to get around the corner with quite a crowd watching.

Are they smirking and laughing -- or just whispering to each other while making bets? Lol.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Off the narrow road you had to back between a large boulder and a tree.

What's up with campsite landscapers putting a big boulder on the other side of a huge tree in the entrance of a camping slot?

Sadist sob's, lol!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

Ahem, well... [emoticon]

Ended up having the CG bring their backhoe over to drag us sideways, all the while with 1/2 the CG watching.

Any more embarrassing questions? [emoticon]

You just won!

You topped mine and my inch by inch maneuvering, lol.

Yeah, wifey is useless. Never done a parking backing up once, even without a trailer, and dare teach me how it's done.

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely the campground at Mammoth Cave National Park. Got there after dark no one at the ranger station, drove thru the park with our brights on cause it was useless to see anything without them found a spot, backed in shut the rv off checked outside and I was about 5 inches from the road.. The rv had a heck of a front to back lean, we just reversed our sleeping positions and went to bed. Left the next morning early to park at the cave welcome center, had breakfast and went for our tour

Proud father of a US Marine

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp La Wis Wis near Mt Rainier. Sign at the gate said "No vehicles over 30'". Well, we are a 34' 5er so in we went. Past experience showed that very often a 30' restricted CG does not mean much. Early season. One loop open. One loop still closed. Sunday afternoon so the great weekend exodus was on.

Really tight loop road. Found a site long enough, barely, & spent the better part of a half hour shoehorning ourselves into it. 1/2" from trailer bumper to tree. 1" from open left slide to huge boulder. 2" clearance for awning. It was tight.

Oh, what a site it was!! Roaring rapids right behind us. Location, location, location. Well worth the effort. Got complimented by CG host who thought we would never get in that spot. I am sure that we provided great entertainment for others as well.

Notice I say We. There are many great sites we would never get into without the help of my excellent DW spotter. No dancing around. No prancing. No shouting. She has radio in hand & I trust her without question.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Washington state Olympic Peninsula, CG manager gave me a site right next to the restroom/shower/laundry building. Had a class C in the next site over and not much room for maneuvering. 30ft. TT so not too bad in length. I was an inch away from the buildings eave and had 3 ft. on the other side to avoid the C, The wife was freaking out so I told her don't look and quiet down...lol, she walked away. I took my time and many trips out of the truck to take a look and about 15 minutes later I was setting up. No audience either to witness this exercise in precision parking.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

Washington state Olympic Peninsula, CG manager gave me a site right next to the restroom/shower/laundry building. Had a class C in the next site over and not much room for maneuvering. 30ft. TT so not too bad in length. I was an inch away from the buildings eave and had 3 ft. on the other side to avoid the C, The wife was freaking out so I told her don't look and quiet down...lol, she walked away. I took my time and many trips out of the truck to take a look and about 15 minutes later I was setting up. No audience either to witness this exercise in precision parking.

Bravi!

Something that every veteran RVer keeps on telling me but would not listen -- or just overcome by pride and hubris: go out of the truck and off your butt and look, no matter how many, and, and go forward and back no matter if you wear out the pavement to straighten up.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Camp La Wis Wis near Mt Rainier. Sign at the gate said "No vehicles over 30'". Well, we are a 34' 5er so in we went. Past experience showed that very often a 30' restricted CG does not mean much. Early season. One loop open. One loop still closed. Sunday afternoon so the great weekend exodus was on.

Really tight loop road. Found a site long enough, barely, & spent the better part of a half hour shoehorning ourselves into it. 1/2" from trailer bumper to tree. 1" from open left slide to huge boulder. 2" clearance for awning. It was tight.

Oh, what a site it was!! Roaring rapids right behind us. Location, location, location. Well worth the effort. Got complimented by CG host who thought we would never get in that spot. I am sure that we provided great entertainment for others as well.

Notice I say We. There are many great sites we would never get into without the help of my excellent DW spotter. No dancing around. No prancing. No shouting. She has radio in hand & I trust her without question.

That one was a bit snug for our pickup camper, lol. The upper leftmost loop road had a really tight jog between trees that I don’t think any trailer could get through. I think it may have even had sign saying “no trailers”. We walked up there before taking the camper through. We ended up in a beautiful spot in the center with a large hill for our daughter to play on behind us.

When the “fish hatchery” loop is open that’s where they normally send the larger RV’s.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Lucky dude!

And I bet she prayed that there won't be an earthquake during your stay -- otherwise that 1/2" will turn into 5 feet right into as part of your RV's living room, lol.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What's your stick(est) wicket?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS