|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tailgate question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderer26

Niles michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2014 F-150 and would like to change out the tailgate for a tailgate for my fifth wheel. I hate the hassel of having to lower or raise my tailgate everytime i want to hitch or unhitch. My OEM tailgate has a backup camera under the Ford logo. Are there any fiver tailgates out there that can accomadate the camera. I have looked at amazon, etrailer and a few others but the description never says anything about the camera. I would like a lockable tailgate.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Often I still had to lower the 5th wheel tailgate for my previous truck. With my new truck I decided to just stay with the OEM tailgate and don't regret that decision.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lockable tailgates are certainly available. You might have to go to a license plate style backup camera versus the stock Ford camera system.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too like the idea of being able to lock up my truck to protect all of my other things I bring along on my trips...

Of course you might be able to install something like this to have some safe storage areas and not use your tail gate...

[image]
Google image

I still like to have my truck tail gate lockable and closed up when not hooked up to the 5th wheel...

In my case I also use my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer a lot more than the 5th wheel. I have a rear camera in the Ford Emblem mounted on the tail gate. I certainly could not operate without the use of my rear camera - Makes hooking up to the OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer a breeze...

Roy Ken
[image]

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just don't assume a V-gate will let you hook up without dropping the tailgate.

We got one because we bought a used truck with a damaged tailgate...first time we unhooked, the pin caught it and popped the tailgate off...luckily it was plastic and just flexed. This is after a long time with the standard tailgate and never having an issue.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well sometimes opinions change!
I loved the V tailgate we had on the 2001 Ram 2500, Custom Flow bought used for $100. It matched the Ram body lines, yes had to watch pin height before pulling away.
Well now have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW with BU camera and locking TG! I don't find it to be too much hassle to drop and raise TG during loading process.

Now if Custom Flow would build a V tailgate with BU cam,era and compatible power lock I might be interested.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both V gate and stock and yeah the V gate is a "Little" more convenient But If I had the backup Camera in my stock tailgate I would not change it IMO lowering my tailgate is no big deal

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 3500 GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Puddles

Lafayette, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 02:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Lockable tailgates are certainly available. You might have to go to a license plate style backup camera versus the stock Ford camera system.

X2... have not had anything blow out of the bed since I switched to a v slotted T gate.

HTML

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my case, it was more than just the hassle of lowering the gate to hook up or disconnect. With the gate down, I'm mere inches away from the face of the trailer and could easily hit the trailer with the tailgate if I wasn't straight on. I just got my V gate this Winter. My first load and unload to bring the trailer home from storage was great.

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually need the V-gate, for reasons I won't repeat again.

My truck is an antique so no tailgate camera for me. But it would be extremely easy to add a camera to a quality V-gate. You could even use the Ford logo style if you wanted.

[image]

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tailgate question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS