|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford's new 7.3 Super Duty Gas Engine for 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am towing with an 02 6.0 GM. I rolled 54,600 miles this winter I only use it to tow.
I have been getting the itch to upgrade. Since I only tow with the truck and there in no rust out here I am going to wait a few more years. It is a fourth vehicle and I can't justify a payment for something that gets 3000 to 3500 miles a year put on it.

The 7.3 looks promisiong, but I am waiting for the GM 6.6 gasser. I will give both of them a year or two before I take the plunge.

I think these new gas motors will work for a lot of people who don't want or need diesel.

Mike
2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 Crew Cab Long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll be replacing my 5.4 L 150 with a superduty, so the 7.3L will probably be my engine of choice. I hope to see good results in the real world before I plop down the cash. Fingers crossed.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like a well designed tough engine but I'd go with the 6.7 diesel for the few extra pennies.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

filrupmark wrote:

I have been reading and watching videos about Fords new 7.3 gasser. I feel that it will be a very capable and dependable engine for the Super Duty line. I am still running a 2004 6.0 and it has been on of the good ones. It will be interesting to see what ratings Ford puts on this new Gasser. I was wondering what people on this sight thought of this new engine.

I think it's going to be a jewel and with the 10 speed it's going to be the engine the 6.8V10 wished it could have been.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

filrupmark wrote:

I have been reading and watching videos about Fords new 7.3 gasser. I feel that it will be a very capable and dependable engine for the Super Duty line. I am still running a 2004 6.0 and it has been on of the good ones. It will be interesting to see what ratings Ford puts on this new Gasser. I was wondering what people on this sight thought of this new engine.

I think it's going to be a jewel and with the 10 speed it's going to be the engine the 6.8V10 wished it could have been.

You mean the 7.3 is hoping it can be everything the V-10 was and still is.......bullet proof and reliable as hell!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

filrupmark wrote:

x2. Looking at the specs and design, it is looking like it will not only be more powerful that the 6.8L, but just as if not more reliable. Being mated to a 10-speed with three overdrive gears is another huge plus.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you say 7.3 Boss Mustang?
Good bye Hellcat....

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

filrupmark wrote:

You mean the 7.3 is hoping it can be everything the V-10 was and still is.......bullet proof and reliable as hell!

Ford didn't go through this development process just to match the V10. The 7.3 is expected to exceed the V10 in torque and fuel economy plus probably power and may be less expensive, at least to build.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Ford didn't go through this development process just to match the V10. The 7.3 is expected to exceed the V10 in torque and fuel economy plus probably power and may be less expensive, at least to build.

That is true. Plus, I don’t understand the comment about not testing it. Just because you are not seeing Superduty trucks driving around with an overt 7.3 badge doesn’t mean they are not out on the roads this very minute.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

Groover wrote:

That is true. Plus, I don’t understand the comment about not testing it. Just because you are not seeing Superduty trucks driving around with an overt 7.3 badge doesn’t mean they are not out on the roads this very minute.

As is quoted above! “Expected” that does not say “it will”. We don’t know how well it is yet. As of right now, it’s only guesses as to how it’s longevity is going to be. Until it’s proven other wise, I will hold off on calling it a better engine!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford's new 7.3 Super Duty Gas Engine for 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS