|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Golf cart battery life question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jimbee

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey All,

Silly question about combining golf cart batteries. If a 6 volt golf cart battery has a listed life of 210 amp hours, when you combine 2 of them to make 12 volts is their combined life still 210 amp hours @ 12 volts because it's going to behave like 1 big battery or does the life double to 420 amp hours?

I'm still unclear if the golf cart battery upgrade is the best way to go for boon docking.

Thanks!

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your first guess is correct. You can add voltage or amps, not both.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In series volts add, amps do not

In parallel amps add, volts do not

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TomC1216

Pleasant Valley, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing to keep in mind is that golf cart batteries can be discharged to a much lower level than 12V batteries and fully recover when charged. Main reason is that golf cart batteries have solid lead plates, not the lead/foam sponges that most 12 Volt batteries have. If you don't believe me, go to a store that sells both, and pick up each battery! Only way to go when boon docking for a long weekend.

Tom & Mary
2018 Ford F250 6.7L Diesel Platinum
2011 Open Range 337RLS 5th Wheel

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced two Trojan T-105's last October after 8 years full time use including several boondocking trips every year. They still worked OK, but one of them was getting tired so I retired both and installed the Trojan watering system on the new ones. Now the routine water addition is a piece of cake.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold my TT 4 years ago with 2- T-125Trojans batteries, still going strong after 10 years. It was a no brainer to buy 2 for our new to us TT. The thing with batteries is if you discharge them below 50% you shorten their life. I installed a Trimetric Battery Meter and that lets me know % of charge all the time. Its on the wall facing the door so when I open the door its visible. I also check the fluid level before and after every trip. We dry camp a lot and charge the batts with 428 watts of solar. So as soon as the sun comes up, there charging.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 Platinum, 6.2L 6 spd 3.73 gears, Reese 12klb w/dual cam, Prodigy, Sunny Brook Sunset Creek 298 BH, Trojan 125's, 448 watts Solar Morning Star 45, Honda EU3000, Dish TV, Xantrax Pure Sine 2000, Wilson Cellular Ant/Amp

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

In series volts add, amps do not

In parallel amps add, volts do not

The question was "amp hours" or "available power".

In both cases, your available power will roughly double.....right ??

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edatlanta wrote:

Now the routine water addition is a piece of cake.

My "routine watering" does not exist.
I have deep cycle AGMs.
Expensive but well worth it, in my opinion.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The plates are not solid lead. However, they are thicker.

TomC1216 wrote:

Main reason is that golf cart batteries have solid lead plates, not the lead/foam sponges that most 12 Volt batteries have. If you don't believe me, go to a store that sells both, and pick up each battery! Only way to go when boon docking for a long weekend.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crabbypatty wrote:

I sold my TT 4 years ago with 2- T-125Trojans batteries, still going strong after 10 years. It was a no brainer to buy 2 for our new to us TT. The thing with batteries is if you discharge them below 50% you shorten their life. I installed a Trimetric Battery Meter and that lets me know % of charge all the time. Its on the wall facing the door so when I open the door its visible. I also check the fluid level before and after every trip. We dry camp a lot and charge the batts with 428 watts of solar. So as soon as the sun comes up, there charging.

What Crabby is saying is true. GC batteries like other lead acid batteries should be used in their upper half of available amp hour. Going below 50 % will shorten the life of the battery. Recharging from 50% to 85% can happen quickly with the correct charging system. From 85% to 100% the battery tapers off slowly on how much current it will accept, so this phase of recharging can take many hours.

I created a spread sheet many years ago to boats that like to anchor out to help manage battery banks. Send me a PM with an email address if you what a copy that you can adjust to you battery bank amp hour capacity. Chris

[image]

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Golf cart battery life question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS