|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Bent & Cracked Frame 08 Attitude

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozlander wrote:

Just a normal Lippert frame.
Move on people, nothing to see here.

Until the unit hits the ground with a thud.[emoticon]

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

NorCal Traveler

Bay Area California

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info!

NorCal Traveler

Bay Area California

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info! No water damage thankfully. The seller was a little surprised when I pulled out a moisture meter.

Wonder what kind of price im looking at for these repairs?

Whether we sell it or keep it, I still have to get it repaired. My conscious wont allow me to drop a safety issue on another family. We love the trailer and even if we bought another lippert frame, we would probably be going the route of reinforcing everything anyways.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without being able to "see" the whole thing in person, a few questions. How does the trailer track now? Unusual tire wear? Those bends in the leaf spring mounts (hangers) look suspicious, like, as if, . . . . . . someone bent the frame, . . . . intentionally to repair an alignment issue. Are there other bent parts that are clearly damaged? From the photos, if I'm reading them correctly, the cracks in the structure occur at a location of minimal stress. Hummmmmmmm.

I'd hate to see you "straighten everything out" only to find that the trailer is now out of alignment and pulls sharply. IMO, a closer look is in order before cutting/bending/welding anything.

Chum lee

Wild Card

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorCal Traveler wrote:

Thanks for all the info! No water damage thankfully. The seller was a little surprised when I pulled out a moisture meter.

Wonder what kind of price im looking at for these repairs?

Whether we sell it or keep it, I still have to get it repaired. My conscious wont allow me to drop a safety issue on another family. We love the trailer and even if we bought another lippert frame, we would probably be going the route of reinforcing everything anyways.

To do it right, jack up and block, cut out suspension, build subframe and install new hangers repair frame crack with fish plates...probably $2-3k

To slap a "Lippert" repair $500-1k.

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert frames are not the only ones that can have issues. I would suggest everyone inspect their frame on a regular basis. I was finishing up repacking my bearings and found this behind the front axle right wheel. Cracking on both sides where the cross brace attaches. I did all the repair work my self except for the welding. Norco BAL sent the repair plates to me.

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 04/14/19 09:03am by Learjet *

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Without being able to "see" the whole thing in person, a few questions. How does the trailer track now? Unusual tire wear? Those bends in the leaf spring mounts (hangers) look suspicious, like, as if, . . . . . . someone bent the frame, . . . . intentionally to repair an alignment issue. Are there other bent parts that are clearly damaged? From the photos, if I'm reading them correctly, the cracks in the structure occur at a location of minimal stress. Hummmmmmmm.

I'd hate to see you "straighten everything out" only to find that the trailer is now out of alignment and pulls sharply. IMO, a closer look is in order before cutting/bending/welding anything.

Chum lee

Hmm... I think you might be on to something. I agree that further investigation would be a good idea.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using cross member supports like X-Factor will go a long way preventing this kind of frame cracks. The frames flex too much and the factory cross members cause a stress point where they are attached.

NorCal Traveler

Bay Area California

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee

Thanks Chum lee.

The trailer tracks perfectly fine and the 4 year old tires look new all the way across the tread. Seller said he used it a handful of times since putting the tires on but who knows for sure.

I used a creeper and inspected every inch of the frame. I found 5 horizontal cracks on both passenger and drivers Ibeams and a couple small cracks overall where the welds were garbage. Majority of the cracks are in very high stress areas when turning, right above the springs.

There is a 1 inch dent under the passenger side Ibeam right above the front spring where the ubolt made contact from a bump or something. Thinking this is what caused the drivers side to bend.

The drivers side hangers are bent outward bit no cracks in the welds. The passenger side looks straight as an arrow looking through the hangers from aft to front and vice versa.

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Using cross member supports like X-Factor will go a long way preventing this kind of frame cracks. The frames flex too much and the factory cross members cause a stress point where they are attached.

That looks like it would help...I see more work in my future [emoticon]

Just ordered...back under the trailer again.

* This post was edited 04/14/19 05:08pm by Learjet *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Bent & Cracked Frame 08 Attitude
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS